Cormorant

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I just completed this knife, which is one of my first 'made to order' commissions. My patron specified the materials, and we worked out the pattern together while at Blade Show this year. It's based on my 'Albatross' neck knife, but is a little bigger with thicker stock and is designed for pocket carry. The sheath will accommodate various pocket clips available out there.

The blade was hollow ground from CPM Cruwear, and the handle is Richlite, bonded to G10 liners.

Although it's a small knife, the window handle design is time consuming and difficult to make. I don't think this pattern will be a regular staple for me, until I'm able to get the parts cut via CNC, (which is what I designed it for) or am able to afford a benchtop mini mill.

stock; .16"
oa weight; 4.95oz
knife weight; 3.55oz
blade length; 3.5" heel to tip
oa length; 7.75"

Thanks for checking it out!

zMWQh3h.jpg

WZLxJdr.jpg

a1hZUYc.jpg

wM2uI6Q.jpg

bJWJ8ZP.jpg

Have a great weekend :)

Last edited:
Very cool size and design on this knife Lorien. Your sheath work just keeps getting better and more refined with each project. I agree with all the other comments from the gentlemen above that we need more details on the spec dimensions.

Thanks and keep them coming! 👍

Phil

Beautiful knife and sheath.

I bet it handles great, and performs even better.
thank you! Yes, it is nicely balanced so it feels neutral and natural in hand. Hollow grinding is new to me. The radius I use 14" so there is a relatively consistent thickness above the secondary bevel which can accommodate whatever type of edge a person might want in order to achieve the type of cutting performance they're after.
That handle looks comfy!
despite its small size and thin profile, it's not bad. I think you could use it for a while without much discomfort. That said, the priority here is weight and size so there are compromises when it comes to comfort during intensive use
That's a good looking knife and sheath!
I'm glad you like it and thank you for saying so :)
I like it. :)

I'm curious about the specs... OAL and blade length?
thank you sir! I've edited the op and added that stuff, I appreciate you bringing it up 🤝
Very cool size and design on this knife Lorien. Your sheath work just keeps getting better and more refined with each project. I agree with all the other comments from the gentlemen above that we need more details on the spec dimensions.

Thanks and keep them coming! 👍

Phil
thanks Phil! I'll be honest with you though- this sheath wasn't my best work! I was winging it, had all sorts of problems, but pulled it off well enough to do the job. Ironically, this knife is going to a very excellent sheath maker, so I'm pretty damn embarrassed by it. I'll just tell him it's a prototype to work from. If it falls apart or he hates it, he can make a better one😂😭

Just perfect Lorien Lorien . I like everything about it - and though you had issues with your sheath, the design is most excellent with the gorgeous knife.
I think it is more of a HERON than a CORMORANT though but not mine to say... ;)

Just perfect Lorien Lorien . I like everything about it - and though you had issues with your sheath, the design is most excellent with the gorgeous knife.
I think it is more of a HERON than a CORMORANT though but not mine to say... ;)
Thank you, Ray!
I think Heron is a good name for a knife, I'm sure I'll come up with something one day which uses it👍

I've gotten a couple requests for this knife, so I think what I'm going to do is make a small batch of them in the new year. Maximum of four. They'll go for $650 each.
They will be made entirely in my shop. I know I mentioned cnc, but at this stage, I'm sticking with hand made. Because that's what I do.
There will likely be a point in the future where I turn to mid tech for some models but for now my focus is on learning how to make the best knives that I can make 100% on my own.

I've gotten a couple requests for this knife, so I think what I'm going to do is make a small batch of them in the new year. Maximum of four. They'll go for $650 each.
They will be made entirely in my shop. I know I mentioned cnc, but at this stage, I'm sticking with hand made. Because that's what I do.
There will likely be a point in the future where I turn to mid tech for some models but for now my focus is on learning how to make the best knives that I can make 100% on my own.

So freaking stoked Lorien!!

Well, if you intend to not make any more of those bush-league sheaths ;) to go with them but only your A game versions - I'd like to be on that list to. :thumbsup:

My Lorien knives are my favorites. :cool:

Well, if you intend to not make any more of those bush-league sheaths ;) to go with them but only your A game versions - I'd like to be on that list to. :thumbsup:

My Lorien knives are my favorites. :cool:
I'm not so good at math, but it seems like 4 of these little guys are spoken for!
Sheaths will be A game. Now that I've made one, I'll build a template for these four which should ensure that they'll be more up to my standard

Back