Corpse Flower

I would like to see one before I die, being in the hort industry and all.

I would like to see one before I die, being in the hort industry and all.

How far is Houston? :D

It looks like they upped the Stink-O-Meter last night. People are saying you can smell it outside the butterfly center now. That's some impressive stank, given the size of that room. :eek:

OH, I thought this was one of the Rafflesiana arnoldii. Always wondered why they gave these two the same common name, though the latter is usually called a Corpse lily...

REALLY cool that you guys have one though. Do you have more guests now because of it? If so, do they provide some face mask, or protection from the smell? Cool stuff.

OH, I thought this was one of the Rafflesiana arnoldii. Always wondered why they gave these two the same common name, though the latter is usually called a Corpse lily...

REALLY cool that you guys have one though. Do you have more guests now because of it? If so, do they provide some face mask, or protection from the smell? Cool stuff.

The museum is getting 8 bucks a head for everybody that goes through there and they left the exhibit open 24/7 while this is going on. I think they're probably making a killing, which is cool. Stuff like this is good to get people interested in something other than Wii bowling. :D

The smell was only bad (per the Stink-O-Meter) last night and this morning. If you went, you were on your own. :barf: I did see a lot of people with their shirts over their noses on the webcam, though.

How far is Houston? :D

It looks like they upped the Stink-O-Meter last night. People are saying you can smell it outside the butterfly center now. That's some impressive stank, given the size of that room. :eek:

I am near the coast in So Cal. I was in Houston at the end of April. The Sam Houston statue is awesome! I drove from Dallas area via I 45 (I think it was that one) into Houston, and I really enjoyed the scenery.

They're not called a "corpse flower" for no reason. Reports are that in the wild these flowers can be smelled from upwards of a mile away.

CLOSURE: Due to previously scheduled weddings in the Cockrell Butterfly Center for the upcoming weekend, the entire Butterfly Center (including Lois) will be closed during the following hours:

Saturday, July 24 from 8 - 9 pm (last entry before closure 7:15 pm; tickets again available starting at 9 pm)
Sunday, July 25 from 7 - 8 pm (last entry 6:15 pm; tickets again available starting at 8 pm)

Guess what? Your wonderful, storybook wedding you dreamed of at the Butterfly Center garden is going to smell like a rotting corpse.... because of one of the flowers!

People will alway remember your wedding.

I am near the coast in So Cal. I was in Houston at the end of April. The Sam Houston statue is awesome! I drove from Dallas area via I 45 (I think it was that one) into Houston, and I really enjoyed the scenery.

If you hurry, you can get here before it falls apart. Quick! To the cj65-mobile!

They're not called a "corpse flower" for no reason. Reports are that in the wild these flowers can be smelled from upwards of a mile away.

Guess what? Your wonderful, storybook wedding you dreamed of at the Butterfly Center garden is going to smell like a rotting corpse.... because of one of the flowers!

People will alway remember your wedding.

Love stinks! Why should the wedding be any different......

'Corpse flower' bloom could stink up Texas wedding

Attendance at the the museum nearly quadrupled from last year - much attributed to Lois' bloomin' activities. There are Facebook and twitter accounts for Lois and her horticulturist keeper.

Banking on Lois: Stubborn corpse flower has museum seeing green

Cool stuff!

j

That picture needs to be brought to Sypderco's attention.

But this also illustrates the power of such a visibly-distinctive feature on a knife.

There's scenery up that way? How did I miss it??! :grumpy:

Back