Corrosion Problems help

I have a small Bud Nealy Aikuchi with an ATS-34 blade that is polished to a semi gloss. There is a problem though. When I got the knife (in a trade) there were some areas of the blade with light rust spots. This is not a problem as I can easily take those off with a little TLC. O.K. so I did, but there is still some staining in the steel. I see some little tarnished areas. Nothing big and hardly noticable. Is this going to be a problem? I think I got out all the rust. There was hardly any when I got the knife. This staining/tarnish covered more area than the rust. Is ATS-34 just a dirty steel to begin with? I am happy with the knife otherwise and just want to make sure there are no further problems, cause the knife looks like it has never even left the sheath. No sharpening or any other marks of any kind. What do you all suggest (other than sening it back)?

Hi USAFSP,

Just leave it alone, and keep it oiled. If it's just black tarnish, it will not hurt the knife. You would probably have to strip of the original finish to get them out:(.

I understand ATS-34 has a little bit of a rep. for rusting/tanishing more then other stainless steels. Judging from the pattern, I'd guess the rust was caused by sweat, people love Nealy's work cause of all the carry options(Nice Knife:)).

HTH:D:).

If its a user, just give it a good wipe down with oil or Tuff Cloth when you're done with it. Once it gets a few dings and scratches here and there, you won't even think about any small tarnishes.

If it's a collector's piece, then about all you can do is try a little Flitz and give it a good wipe down afterwards.

Thanx Bob. You are probably right. The knife was probably carried as a defensive weapon so it shows no use. There is no pitting, just tarnish dots. You can see where the tarnish has set in, but it doesn't look bad. I was just worried that the steel would be degraded in some way. I've never seen staining like this on one of my knives. I guess it's O.K. then.

I've always had good luck getting those stains off with Simichrome metal polish.

I've had tarnishing on a couple of my ATS-55 Spyderco knives that won't come off even after removing the light rust that accompanied it, esp. on my SS Harpy's blade. Since there is no pitting I don't worry about it, and it seems to be very minor and more noticeable at some angles than others.
Jim

Back