Council Ax, 6 lb, flat-head review

Hey DM,

I looked up the dewalt axe and it looked similar but not quite - but it did have a similar style of handle/head attachment, like the fiskars axes also, so watched the video again and was able to pause and get a good shot of the axe - pretty sure its a husqvarna.

not sure which one as they all look alike - but either one of the "multi-purpose" or "wood splitting" axes

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/axes/

not that this is important remotely - but sometimes its fun to figure things out.

I do REALLY like your 6lb council though! and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to tap on some steel wedges with your poll. I don't think you will hurt a thing. As JB said, I think that axe heads we see that are all mushroomed up - got some serious and repeated pounding for years with a sledgehammer to get that way. I've split countless cords of wood in the last 30 years - mostly with a maul, but have (in my sinful past) hit an occasional axe poll with a sledge and even several smart wacks never did any major damage.

That thing should be a great splitting axe not sure I would want something that heavy to fell a tree. I love my council tool boys axe. I wish council tools would make a 3.5 lb Michigan pattern single bit I would be all over it

Thanks Flint & plumber.
After lunch when we returned to load our oak wood, I brought my Council 6 lb. axe and went ahead and split all the trunk rounds on that
stump. I'm certain this ax beats my Hults 4 lb. ax at splitting hands down. Most of these rounds separated with one blow. The most nasty
knotted ones gave up in 3. Whereas it would take 3-4 with my Hults on the nice ones and double on the nasty ones. This axe split 15 rounds today which were 12"- 15" across and it didn't make me tired. A great labor saving axe. DM
Councilsmash.jpg

That thing should be a great splitting axe not sure I would want something that heavy to fell a tree. I love my council tool boys axe. I wish council tools would make a 3.5 lb Michigan pattern single bit I would be all over it
plumber, I wouldn't either. I'd use a 3.5-4 lb. ax for felling and limb work. But those guys in Spain that compete in chopping events they use 5 & 6 lb. axes with short handles.

Flint, you have likely split more cords than me. I normally cut 3 cords a year and have for the last 25 years. A lot of it requires splitting. This will carry us through most winters. Still, I wish I had found this axe a long time ago. Knowledge comes slow and it came from knowledgeable on here. Thanks, DM

Last edited:
plumber, I wouldn't either. I'd use a 3.5-4 lb. ax for felling and limb work. But those guys in Spain that compete in chopping events they use 5 & 6 lb. axes with short handles.
Most of the lumberjack contest I have watched they are chopping down . I have cut down some decent size trees (18-24") with a 3.5 lb double bit when I was younger

Yep, swinging down as much weight as you can comfortably swing works in your favor especially on soft wood. I think it would wear you out felling a hardwood tree
Dave Martin I am not being negative about your axe. I like splitting with an axe that looks like the best option I've seen

Just take a Dayton and round the heel, toe, and poll.

After that splitting on Nov. 25th, today I got around to giving this Council's edge a good look and I found no curling. No burrs. So, the
heat treat they give this axe is sound. Real satisfying to know. I didn't touch it up, I'll use it again for splitting and see how long it last. DM

I gave my Council 6 lb. three coats of boiled linseed oil and have been working it like a rented mule. Here it is helping me get this log cut.
I got 15 rounds out of this log, including the stump and have been splitting some along the way. The last one being 19-20" across and then they are rolled over and split with this ax.
Though dead wood it is still very hard as our climate petrifies the oak. So, it catches and burns great. DM
Cwedge.jpg

Nice work! You're a busy man. I've resorted to reducing the wood I have split to ash for the next couple of months. Need to make room for the next stash of wood. Chainsaw and splitting axes are getting their holiday break. The hatchet is stepping up for kindling duty, though.

Nice work! You're a busy man. I've resorted to reducing the wood I have split to ash for the next couple of months. Need to make room for the next stash of wood. Chainsaw and splitting axes are getting their holiday break. The hatchet is stepping up for kindling duty, though.
That is funny! Well said.
Our winter has been coming through, blowing & cold so, when a decent day comes around I'm out cutting and splitting. My wife likes
me to keep her house warm. Happy wife, happy life... DM

Well, this hickory makes a boat load of heat and ash every time I burn it. The wife likes the heat, but she is not happy about the mess. I just keep it all cleaned up - as you say, happy wife, happy life. Of course the ash kills just about any plant it gets dumped on, so I have been dumping it in the huge craters left by the root balls of these monster trees. Pretty convenient, if you ask me. I think I have a system!

Rainy and chilly today, temperature around 40*, we're going down to 33*. So, my unsplit rounds are getting wet. With some wind and not
raining they will dry fast. Then I'll get you some pictures up. I have a video but cannot load it?? I don't know how... DM

Last edited:
Back