Council Ax, 6 lb, flat-head review

I've posted this before and several of you have commented on the utility of it. This is my garden cart/wood cart. It's made from an old wheelchair.

Garden%20cart1.JPG

Wheelchairs are typically designed for a 300 lb. load capacity but since they carry humans there is a 50% overload factor built in. So a typical wheelchair will carry 450 lbs.

Garden%20cart2.JPG

I put the handle over the small swivel castors and let the big wheels lead the way since they are better for rolling over rough terrain. I put a tailgate on the front end for when I'm hauling soils or topping and wish to shovel out of it.

Garden%20cart3.JPG

This thing pushes much easier than my heavy duty contractors wheelbarrow. At a recent volunteer event at our local disc golf course I brought both the wheelbarrow and the garden cart. Everyone loved the garden cart. Over rough terrain one fellow was pushing the cart with one hand while smoking a cigarette with the other. You can't do that with any wheelbarrow.

It wasn't a difficult conversion. I did it in a couple hours with junk I had lying around - except for the gate latches which I had to purchase. You can find one cheap at an auction or estate sale or even on Craigslist.

That is absolutely freaking incredible. I'll be making some new canoe carts for sure with this inspiration.

I hope so, it felt better. On my rear hand (left) my little finger hangs off. It's been sanded and not sharp. So, 3 fingers on and one off. I've noticed many MLB players use this style when batting. So, maybe it will work. I also gave it 2 coats of boiled linseed oil. I'll try it next time I split some. Thanks, DM

I've posted this before and several of you have commented on the utility of it. This is my garden cart/wood cart. It's made from an old wheelchair.

Garden%20cart1.JPG

Wheelchairs are typically designed for a 300 lb. load capacity but since they carry humans there is a 50% overload factor built in. So a typical wheelchair will carry 450 lbs.

Garden%20cart2.JPG

I put the handle over the small swivel castors and let the big wheels lead the way since they are better for rolling over rough terrain. I put a tailgate on the front end for when I'm hauling soils or topping and wish to shovel out of it.

Garden%20cart3.JPG

This thing pushes much easier than my heavy duty contractors wheelbarrow. At a recent volunteer event at our local disc golf course I brought both the wheelbarrow and the garden cart. Everyone loved the garden cart. Over rough terrain one fellow was pushing the cart with one hand while smoking a cigarette with the other. You can't do that with any wheelbarrow.

It wasn't a difficult conversion. I did it in a couple hours with junk I had lying around - except for the gate latches which I had to purchase. You can find one cheap at an auction or estate sale or even on Craigslist.

That's pretty neat. Haven't seen the like!

I like it. That will stay in your hand effortlessly.
You were exactly right. I cut a load and there were 8 rounds that needed splitting I only had the Wards Master Quality ax with me so I hauled them home and split them today. The pommel I built into the haft really helps it fit well in my hand and my grip stays anchored well on it. I use a one finger off the end and there is no problem maintaining control of the ax using this method. On the 3 largest (some just out of the photo) rounds it took 3 chops to get them in half. This Council ax really has the heft to drive the bit deep and start wedging the round apart. Here I'm taking my measurement and setting my footing for the swing. DM
council3.jpg

You were exactly right. I cut a load and there were 8 rounds that needed splitting I only had the Wards Master Quality ax with me so I hauled them home and split them today. The pommel I built into the haft really helps it fit well in my hand and my grip stays anchored well on it. I use a one finger off the end and there is no problem maintaining control of the ax using this method. On the 3 largest (some just out of the photo) rounds it took 3 chops to get them in half. This Council ax really has the heft to drive the bit deep and start wedging the round apart. Here I'm taking my measurement and setting my footing for the swing. DM
View attachment 1082243
Where's DM? Maybe I've missed one of your posts but it feels like I haven't seen you around lately. You alright David??

Yes, I am fine. I haven't been cutting wood lately just burning it. We have snow in our forecast for this weekend. So, I'll have to bring a load up to the porch. Have any of you gents noticed ants or bores coming out of the wood once you put it in the stove? I've been seeing
this. DM

Ha, Often I inspect those plastic wrapped bundles of fire wood one sees at grocery stores. When I find pests in them, I'll send in a sample to our etymology lab for identification. Sometimes the wood is then quarantined. It's in this manner we can prevent the introduction of a foreign beetle into our forests. DM

^^^

Good on you, brother.

This is the drawback in globalization. Pests are introduced faster than native trees can respond and adapt. Hence the loss of the American Chestnut to blight. The Western White Pine was almost totally lost to white pine blister rust. Now the emerald ash borer is spreading across the country.

I think our weather will slowly improve until April, then turn more Spring like. S Square_peg ,I'm looking forward to when you have time and the logs ready to do some splitting with your Council flat head. Because you can compare it to some other axes that you normally use
for splitting. This comparison is of interest to me. DM

Upon accessing our wood usage after this winter storm and it being a nice day. I decided to get out and cut some more wood. I know we'll
get more winter. It only warmed up to 39* today but with no wind or clouds it felt great. Being outdoors on nice days is just good for your
well being. Heck my dogs enjoyed it too. Here I was splitting about 8 rounds with the Council. Plus a stump. These had no deteriorated center, just good solid, dense oak. They all split in half with 1 or 2 hits. DM
Councilsplits3.jpg

Back