Couple questions about my new BM Griptilian

Hi all, first post here.
I just received my new Benchmade Griptilian and I have a couple questions. I heard all the horror stories about BM quality control but I went and ordered it anyway.. really comfortable and I love the blade.
Mine did come with perfect blade centring and a very solid lockup, which is great, but it does have an imperfection on the blade tang - it looks like a light tooling indentation, perpendicular to the tang (i.e. it runs across it). It can be felt when the lock bar passes over it when the knife opens/closes. It does not impede the action at all, it’s just detectable when the knife is opened or closed slowly, like a very slight detent. Should I be fussy about this? Is this something collectors complain about? I want this knife to be a hard user.

Also, when I was adjusting the pivot I noticed that the female portion of the pivot slightly rotated when I loosened the screw. I checked and the female portion has a flat on one side, so should there be any movement at all when adjusting the pivot or is this a loose tolerance thing? I don’t have another Griptilian to compare with.

Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are good to go. Be sure that the pivot is pushed alway the way down and then use a small amount of locktite (
Blue) and tighten down the pivot screw to the desired tension, let it sit overnight to cure. Now use it.

Between us,my wife and I have probably 6 Grips all of different flavors that we use hard around the farm.None are collector items but it is a very good knife that needs to be used. Truthfully, I never noticed any imperfection with ours but then again, I never gave it much of a thought or even as much as a look see.

I guess I’m being a bit fussy, but also I guess it’s the prices BM charges that make me that much more attentive.
Anyone else see burrs or tooling marks on blade tangs? Should they smooth out with use?

I have a few. And on my freek. Not the super freak but just the freek I had a little one on the right side. After about two weeks it was unnoticeable. It should be just fine. I believe your talking about where the axis lock rides onto the back of the blade and locks the blade open and closed. The curve area. Or are you talking about the actual part where it locks in? Mine was on the curved area. And it did wear in just fine.20191023_114818.jpg

Last edited:
Multiple Grip owner. Maybe 20 or so thru my hands & still have three. Function wise...you are good to go. With that being said, if you're not 100% satisfied, return it.

I have a few. And on my freek. Not the super freak but just the freek I had a little one on the right side. After about two weeks it was unnoticeable. It should be just fine. I believe your talking about where the axis lock rides onto the back of the blade and locks the blade open and closed. The curve area. Or are you talking about the actual part where it locks in? Mine was on the curved area. And it did wear in just fine.View attachment 1232232

Yes exactly. Thanks for the response, I’ll just give’er then and see how it smooths out!

If you are skeptical, and bought it from a reputable dealer you'll get no problems with returning it. You may wanna double check that female pivot though. It should not be free spinning.
BM gets a bad rap here due to other brands fanbois mostly. I own 3 (with one being a Mini Grip) and have beaten the ever loving beejeezus out of them.

20191114_164207.jpg
I have a few different benchmades and all of them have a tiny bit of rock on the female side. Not free spinning but when I turn the pivot I can feel the female side move the smallest amount. Its normal as far as I know on all these models.

View attachment 1232246
I have a few different benchmades and all of them have a tiny bit of rock on the female side. Not free spinning but when I turn the pivot I can feel the female side move the smallest amount. Its normal as far as I know on all these models.

Is that a mini grip with aftermarket to the right of the Osborne? Is so, what scales are they? Thanks.

Yep that's my sheetrock killer in D2 and the aftermarket scales are AWT. You can pick up blems for like $40-50 . There aluminum and totally change the mini grip. Makes it a beastly little knife.

The Grippie is a brilliant design IMHO. Fugitabout the indent -- it won't affect the action. I prefer my Cabela's in D2 over the standard 154CM.

The Grippie is a brilliant design IMHO. Fugitabout the indent -- it won't affect the action. I prefer my Cabela's in D2 over the standard 154CM.
Totally agree. The D2 is my favorite steel on the grip by far. I do like the s30v on the freek. But as for the mini grip I would totally take the D2 and I have.

I currently own 4 Griptilians but I have owned a total of seven Benchmade folders. A little roughness at first is not uncommon. It usually goes away after a short break in period.

Personally, I would be more worried about blade centering on their current production.

They do have a decent customer service program. Give them a call if you are still concerned.

I went back and reread your opening post. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Just enjoy your knife.

Back