Off Topic Cowboy Stuff......

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Many of ya have mentioned over the years how much ya enjoyed some of my cowboyin' knife threads.

If you are in the central/southern California area Oct 19th-21st is the big deal for us. Our big show of the year, The Brannaman Pro Am. Its free to spectators and its at the Santa Yanez Equestrian Center.

A gorgeous facility and lots to see and then the roping. This isn't a rodeo, its the real deal and the wolves have come to town for this event. Competitors haul in from Canada, the east coast, even some fly in from Australia. If ya make it I'll buy ya a beer. Few pics from last year. Ya know I couldn't do a post without pics.

Couple young coeds from Montana State University stopped by the booth to show us their Horsewright knives:

raEga9v.jpg

My son Logan dragging one out. I'll be competing this year with Logan and on another team too:

9ndU4GR.jpg

Logan coming in for the heels:

TKEsoUy.jpg

160 teams competing:

xaV4bjR.jpg

Did I mention knives? Everywhere:

KlSUA41.jpg

iQr1lMj.jpg

d2Xk48C.jpg

0WACIoc.jpg

So come on by if you're around. Be lots of fun.

I lived on a cattle ranch from 15-18YO. The owner raised Limousine and ran an artificial insemination operation with diary cows to keep his prized cattle pristine. Working the ranch is how I kept a roof over my head while I went to school and then later worked full time as well.

Anyway, I learned two very important lessons living on a cattle ranch:

1) Cattle ranching is only about 10% cattle. The other 90% is hauling feed bags, bucking bails, fence building, fixing the tractor, repairing a broken irrigation pipe, helping the owner's wife bring in groceries, and so on. Hard and never ending work!

2) I don't want to be a cattle rancher. :D

I wish I were closer ... I would love to meet you and see your work first hand ... I always enjoying seeing your posts.

Out of curiosity ... what are the steels you use? ... I have been liking AEB-L alot in a couple blades I've used recently and am thinking of finding a custom maker that uses AEB-L.

JJ

I wish I were closer ... I would love to meet you and see your work first hand ... I always enjoying seeing your posts.

Out of curiosity ... what are the steels you use? ... I have been liking AEB-L alot in a couple blades I've used recently and am thinking of finding a custom maker that uses AEB-L.

JJ
He seems to mostly use AEB-L and a high carbon Damascus. You can see most of his work here:
http://www.horsewrightclothing.com/Sportsmans-Knives-Gallery_c_60.html

great stuff Sir. love that out west and in cali there is still actual cowboy stuff going on and being done by cowboys and cowgals.:)

Our big show of the year, The Brannaman Pro Am

Cool !
Thanks for posting about it all.
hahaha when I scanned over the title of your thread I thought it said "Cow Stuff".
About the only cow boy stuff I got these days is bent toes from wearing cowboy boots as a kid.
I wanted to say keep the rubber side down. Does one say keep the hooves in the dirt ?

Sorry back late to the party. Was out in the shop till late last night working on sheaths for the show. Nuther day or two. Heading back out soon.

Eli Chaps Eli Chaps You're gonna have to come hang with us. We try to do as much as possible horseback. Even hauling the beer wagon back from the corrals to camp:

fC7uejp.jpg

Swimming at the beach:

ym8M4n2.jpg

Heck even basketball:

XRM8nTt.jpg

Thanks Whitedog Whitedog and cbach8tw cbach8tw !!

Thanks JJ_Colt45 JJ_Colt45 . Yes I do use AEB-L almost exclusively anymore as far as stainless goes. I run it ay 62RC and here it exhibits great toughness, edge holding ability and ease of resharpening. It will also take a razors edge which is not surprising since if you shaved this morning you used it in all probability. I've made thousands of knives from it and have had nothing but great feedback from my customers. Here's what I'm taking to the show this week. All AEB-L except the dammy ones.

vD2Awyl.jpg

Thanks jstrange jstrange buddy. Thanks for picking up the slack for me while I was missing in action I appreciate it.

Thanks @Colorado and jbmonkey jbmonkey . Yep we keep pretty busy with it. Wowbagger Wowbagger There is kinda a saying like that. For instance I'll call my son and say "Whacha doing?" and he'll reply "cowboy sh.t.". Nope not really maybe four on the floor?

My pastor rides horses with his daughter in shows, so he naturally joined other horse owners and they do Cowboy church, they meet at barns or open fields and they share the gospel and worship together. Do not always have their horses. So I bet you guys even do your church on horseback.

if I was there looking at all those knives and which to buy I would be that jerk standing there for about 2 hours trying to make a decision. they all look great!!!

any florida boys show up there for the competition/event, Sir?

Dang, That blue handled compadre (?) in the middle is the one I would snatch up.
And do all the ladies in Montana look like that? I may have to move!
really enjoyed the pictures.

That jerk would be welcome in my booth any time P ponykid . Thanks.

jbmonkey jbmonkey Not sure. I do know some that haul in from Georgia. Entirely possible that some haul in from FL. Just haven't met em yet. I mean folks from all over the world . Spectators from Germany, Norway, Czech Republic, France, Italy, Great Britain, Switzerland and these are just the ones I met in our booth. Its a cool deal.

Yep T Thorns thats a Compadre. Cool little knife with the blue bone. Lot of young folks from Montana State University come to help put on the deal. They are scribing for the judges, running the office, helping the announcer, running parking and generally just getting stuff done.

I lived on a cattle ranch from 15-18YO. The owner raised Limousine and ran an artificial insemination operation with diary cows to keep his prized cattle pristine. Working the ranch is how I kept a roof over my head while I went to school and then later worked full time as well.

Anyway, I learned two very important lessons living on a cattle ranch:

1) Cattle ranching is only about 10% cattle. The other 90% is hauling feed bags, bucking bails, fence building, fixing the tractor, repairing a broken irrigation pipe, helping the owner's wife bring in groceries, and so on. Hard and never ending work!

2) I don't want to be a cattle rancher. :D

LOL!

I had a shorter, but similar growing up. And share Your thoughts. I stay away from stupid cows and feel sorry for anyone who feels the "Cowboy way of Life" is so appealing.

Almost forty years ago I had a long conversation with a noted Montana cowboy who was born in 1886 and worked cattle until the 1930's. He was talking about herding cows, cattle drives and general Ranching. He said; "My life took a big improvement ,when I stopped watching a cows ass in front of my horse".

Back