Coyote Hunting

Curious if anyone was into predator hunting especially coyote hunting. I've started fooling around with it some but could use some good advice especially on how to hunt eastern coyotes. Hand calls? Electronic calls? Stand set ups? We have lots of woods and thick cover. No praries and wide open spaces like out west. I've seen some videos on western hunts and got the blood boiling. Looks like fun and I know we have yotes nearby. I can hear 'em at night.

Any help would be appreciated.

Semp

I don't have any advice. The price of fur has gone up from historic lows but probably not enough yet to make it profitable.

Always intended to try it myself.

I'd use a wounded animal cry.

munk

We hunt after deer season is over and use the electronic game caller. Wounded animal tapes work well. Set up at the edge of a semi open field in the bed of the pickup truck so we can see over the grass and debris. The truck doesn't seem to frighten them and we wear camoflauge. Normally we can peg one or two at 100-150 yds before they get wise; then we move to another spot. Not an elegant way to hunt but its the best we can do for our area.

Ice pretty much nailed my suggestions too. Got to wait until deer season is over though...otherwise they'll nail you for poaching deer on appearances alone.

If'n yer goin' ta da pokey Bro...wait til I gets there so's we'uns kin have a real good time in dare tagether.

Yotes are tough . Most guys I know are into long range shots using prey calls and moving decoys . A decoy can be as simple as a bundle of fur . The trick is to keep their ears and eyes busy and off of you . Supposedly once they bust you with a decoy or call they are a lot less likely to come in a second time . The best have very nice fur . I haven,t scraped one of their hides yet but a buddy of mine who does taxidedrmy has some beautes living in his living room . And they don,t pee on the furniture ! L:O:L

One of our adopted daughters got me a coyote that was trapped up in Kansas and lived in a freezer for quite some time. Even after I got her thawed out she was the bedevil to skin so skin 'em fresh if you want the fur.
Also be prepared to give 'em a bath, coyotes stink to high heaven or low hell, your preference as always of course.;) :D

I may get to try for the first time this year. I'll be using a 16 inch AR with a Leupold Vari-X II 1-4X20mm and Black Hills 68gr OTM. That's if I get to try! Finding them will be the job of my buddy on whose land we'll do it.

i prefer using a mountain howitzer myself. here's one used for deer hunting, i'm sure it could be adapted for coyote. :eek:

Linky

You will need the pickup truck to tote that one around.

There's a lot more coyotes around nowadays in the Eastern US.

Back