CPK folder - practical balisong

Brummie

Gold Member
I've mentioned before that I'd consider the ultimate hard use folder to be a balisong built to actually use as a practical knife, rather than as a flipping toy. Something like the Marlowe Badger with a tough, modern hi-alloy steel:
20866342402_4d0d7e7fc5_b.jpg

If CPK were to make something like this with a D3V blade, I'd personally climb over my own mother (and several other people's) to get it. The beauty of a balisong is there's no lock to fail - you have to tear out a stop pin to get it to fold the wrong way.

On that theme, here's a specific proposal that wouldn't even require designing a new knife. This is the Poltergeist Works Faction (photo borrowed from Instagram). It has about a 4" blade and a 5" handle, I think. The guy behind Poltergeist Works, Jakub, only made a couple of them about 2 years ago, as far as I know. He said he tried to get Real Steel to make a production version, but they dropped out due to legal issues with shipping them from China. So what about a CPK version in D3V? If you minimized the swedge and brought the grind up higher, the blade profile wouldn't be that far off a Sebenza, which I believe is a Nathan favorite.
50997461335_1b47855a80_c.jpg

The trouble with practical balis is that most practical knife users aren't looking at balis, and most bali buyers are looking for a flipper, not a practical knife. But I'm sure a CPK version would get enough interest for at least a small run, and offer something really unique.

Tell me I'm wrong, or tell Nathan I'm right.

Brought a tear to my eye, man

Have had the same sentiment for years. Tried few practical"s to see how they flew..had no interest in flipping. Didnt want bearings (not a fan)..tried a few BM's..and few real cheapo's..idea shelved..

My only other issue othen than either design or construction was being conscientious to not "flip flap* it open and closed...looking theatrical. Easy to do, no flipping skills needed, easy,fast and simple. Becomes unconscious. Now, I dont really give a fk what "you" think, but. I am a proponent of discretion. I'd just twist/roll..let it fall open, same on the close..

Legal in my state, work on private farm/ranch just over border, so..no issue on-site.

Well stated, sir.

On board %100

*ahem

Nathan?

Last edited:
Tried few practical"s to see how they flew..had no interest in flipping. a few BM's..and few real cheapo's..idea shelved..

The only production knife I know that's come close to this is the Bradley Mayhem (made by Benchmade). That's a nice knife, but it's a 3.5" s30v blade, and has been out of production for a few years. A 4+" D3V blade would open up new worlds of possibilities for a folding knife, IMHO. Benchmade also made another Marlowe design (BM 53?), but that was too small and the handle wasn't comfortable.

Had those both..and a Morpho mini..I thought the Marlowe was gonna be "it"..it wasn't. Great blade shape and grind..D2, big fan. Pivots sucked and the G10 only handles were not rigid enough..it needed liners, for sure..Got rid of that one the quickest.

The Mayhem almost made it..Wish it had been offered in almost any other steel than S30V..D2 or even 154..Great blade shape/grinds..

I've mentioned before that I'd consider the ultimate hard use folder to be a balisong built to actually use as a practical knife, rather than as a flipping toy. Something like the Marlowe Badger with a tough, modern hi-alloy steel:

If CPK were to make something like this with a D3V blade, I'd personally climb over my own mother (and several other people's) to get it. The beauty of a balisong is there's no lock to fail - you have to tear out a stop pin to get it to fold the wrong way.

On that theme, here's a specific proposal that wouldn't even require designing a new knife. This is the Poltergeist Works Faction (photo borrowed from Instagram). It has about a 4" blade and a 5" handle, I think. The guy behind Poltergeist Works, Jakub, only made a couple of them about 2 years ago, as far as I know. He said he tried to get Real Steel to make a production version, but they dropped out due to legal issues with shipping them from China. So what about a CPK version in D3V? If you minimized the swedge and brought the grind up higher, the blade profile wouldn't be that far off a Sebenza, which I believe is a Nathan favorite.

The trouble with practical balis is that most practical knife users aren't looking at balis, and most bali buyers are looking for a flipper, not a practical knife. But I'm sure a CPK version would get enough interest for at least a small run, and offer something really unique.

It is a compelling idea. We already have material on order for our folder so we're going to move forward with our frame lock. But hit me up with this idea next year and we'll talk about it.

It is a compelling idea. We already have material on order for our folder so we're going to move forward with our frame lock. But hit me up with this idea next year and we'll talk about it.
Much appreciate that. What I could do in the meantime is reach out to Jakub (don't really know him, but have had a bit of email contact in the past) to mention that it could be of interest to you down the line, and see if it's something he'd still be interested in from his side.

I also look forward to seeing more on the folder that is in the works. Will it be similar to the couple offered in the Fun Friday Sales, or is that something different entirely?

Much appreciate that. What I could do in the meantime is reach out to Jakub (don't really know him, but have had a bit of email contact in the past) to mention that it could be of interest to you down the line, and see if it's something he'd still be interested in from his side.

I also look forward to seeing more on the folder that is in the works. Will it be similar to the couple offered in the Fun Friday Sales, or is that something different entirely?

Entirely different. My folder is a folding field knife.

It's not a flipper. It doesn't have bearings. It will be built somewhat like a Sebenza. It will be boring and dull* and built to tolerate some abuse and lack of love but it won't be bulky.

It's the sort of pragmatic tool that everybody on Instagram is crazy about these days. <---sarcasm

* Edit to add. Not literally dull. Actually literally very sharp. But, metaphorically dull. As in, not particularly interesting looking.

Last edited:

It's not a flipper. It doesn't have bearings. It will be built somewhat like a Sebenza. It will be boring and dull* and built to tolerate some abuse and lack of love but it won't be bulky.

It's the sort of pragmatic tool that everybody on Instagram is crazy about these days. <---sarcasm

* Edit to add. Not literally dull. Actually literally very sharp. But, metaphorically dull. As in, not particularly interesting looking.
I hope it will come in purple with timascus and zirconium widgets so I can show it off on Instagram lying on a $75 handkerchief along with my spinny thing and an overpriced pry tool.

On a serious note, I'd totally be fine with purple. Just no giant choil please.

Cool. You can make a dull, practical frame lock, then a dull, practical balisong. You can leave the Brian Tighe collaboration integral zirmascus flipper designed for Klingon martial blade arts until year 3.

SO looking forward to this!

The better word to use is bland. A knifemaker of your star stature ought to never ever use the word *dull in any post which relates to your own knives. Trust me, it'll come back to bite you in the arse.

CPK maxim # 132. I decided, who's gonna second me on this?

I'll admit that I think the Gerber Double Down is a brilliant application for this mechanism
for a practical everyday knife, it would take some convincing to get me to see it differently than I currently do

The Faction is a sweet knife, my buddy had one for a bit and I wanted to get one badly.
Jakub does great work and an iteration of that knife by Nathan would be absolutely stellar.
I also suggested a Bali several pages back in the thread so I’m 100% on board for one if CPK does get around to it in the future.

T

This is amazing and exciting. My first user was a balisong i carried for years in my to tool belt. It eventually fell to pieces. In for several!

I never thought about balisongs as a hard use knives....but that I guess could be related to most of these knives are: junk, or just fancy high end fancy object.
It makes sense...no lock, very sturdy pins, extremely simply construction...

The Benchmade Marlowe with G10 handles stunk. I too thought it was going to be a great practical EDC design but the balance and feel were just off.

The Mayhem was a good design but the blade was a little thick behind the edge and could have been slightly more utilitarian. I liked the spring latch though the magnetic one on recent high end Benchmades is even tricker.

That Faction is killer. Looks dam perfect for what I'd like/commission. The pocket clip? Eh..if it works :thumbsup:, if not..easy fix, no deal breaker..Talk about hard to get.

Back