CPK knife reviews (share your thoughts and observations from use)

Brian77

Gold Member
I hope this is an appropriate thread. I have always been the type to use tools and look to learn from them, and also to observe what I can do to improve and modify them for my applications.

As a carpenter for years I was always learning and applying that to my tools, and my tool belts and tool bags. As I learned about making knives, and handles, it became more and more interesting to gather information and apply it to various aspects of this craft.

I have learned much from others here and what they see in various models and blade shapes, handles, and edge geometry, etc. I hope to continue to do so. Maybe this can be a place where we can do that as it relates to this great maker and these designs.

Here is a link to the review my son did from his first use of a Nathan knife. This is from the "archives". I had told Nathan part of the story and he encouraged us to share it on BF. Austin has grown his collection of CPK since then, and did a good job in his write-up. Some of you have read this already, and for those that did not, enjoy.

And feel free to share your thoughts and applied skills from usage of your CPK's.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nathan-the-machinist-field-knife-thoughts-after-elk-hunt.1335873/

Last edited:
We have been using the EDC in both 3v and D2 for a period of months. Both on the farm and at the construction sites. I will do a more detailed write-up and add it here later.

I also have a 4v, but I am saving that for fall and hunting small game.

The 3v and D2 have not been sharpened yet. We use them in the warehouse to open boxes by the semi load and to strip wires. We use them to open round bales for feed. This in particular is very hard on an edge. The fescue is a type of material that dulls a 1095 or CPM154 edge fairly quickly. Usually can open about 8 to 9 bales before sharpening is needed.

With these 2 EDC blades we are at over 25 each and still okay. It is not hay feeding season now, and that will start again in August. The handle shape is great for various grips. For gutting plastic wrap and bale netting, we hold it in a sideways "pinch grip" and the front of the handle with its notches facilitate that well.

I absolutely love the horizontal sheath that cam along. It rides along my belt on my front, and it is not in the way for the Skid loader safety bar or a seat-belt. It is easily covered by a shirt tail or jacket, and when worn with a T shirt it has rarely been noticed by anyone.

More later, but we love this knife design.

Brian,

Another great write-up. Thank you for taking the time to post your observations. You have provided a lot of valuable insight for all of us.

Thanks for posting those up Brian77.
I'm also interested in the Medium Chopper but your review of the LC was impressive. It looks like it'll handle any of the abuse I'd throw at it.

Back