CPK modifications

Dave and Chip <especially> motivated me to attempt a dye job on my Terotuf HDFK handles...I was shooting for Raven Black Elvis '68 Comeback tour :cool: ...thank ya, thank ya verra, verra much...:p
Elvis-68-Comeback-Elvis.jpg

the usual suspects...
cykz2BO.jpg

Busse photobomb! :p This is the pinnacle of what I hoped the Tero would achieve, but of course this is Canvas Micarta...a quite different animal o_O
evNTTqU.jpg

NASK w/dyed handles + LC undyed Teros for comparison...
JHU1r57.jpg

4UZm5za.jpg

rrEkvj1.jpg

BtAD000.jpg

IhUzOzB.jpg

9cuJdF2.jpg

As4q8b7.jpg

8IaoX05.jpg

HDFK's day in the sun :cool: ... OVERALL, I'd say the Terotuf took the dye well...I let them sit overnight to dry and I had to handbuff quite a bit with lint free cloths, but is seems colorfast now. Won't come off with water...I haven't tried other solvents. There are flecks of the gray that show thru <kinda looks like stray fibers that stick up out of the matrix>, but the handles are mainly black, black. Plus the Tero "feel" remained intact!
V2iTu3F.jpg

Last edited:
Dave and Chip <especially> motivated me to attempt a dye job on my Terotuf HDFK handles...I was shooting for Raven Black Elvis '68 Comeback tour :cool: ...thank ya, thank ya very much...:p
Elvis-68-Comeback-Elvis.jpg

the usual suspects...
cykz2BO.jpg

Busse photobomb! :p This is the pinnacle of what I hoped the Tero would achieve, but of course this is Canvas Micarta...a quite different animal o_O
evNTTqU.jpg

NASK w/dyed handles + LC undyed Teros for comparison...
JHU1r57.jpg

4UZm5za.jpg

rrEkvj1.jpg

BtAD000.jpg

IhUzOzB.jpg

9cuJdF2.jpg

As4q8b7.jpg

8IaoX05.jpg

HDFK's day in the sun :cool: ... OVERALL, I'd say the Terotuf took the dye well...I let them sit overnight to dry and I had to handbuff quite a bit with lint free cloths, but is seems colorfast now. Won't come off with water...I haven't tried other solvents. There are flecks of the gray that show thru <kinda looks like stray fibers that stick up out of the matrix>, but the handles are mainly black, black. Plus the Tero "feel" remained intact!
V2iTu3F.jpg

They look good Ron!! I'm having much better luck with the Fiebings pro black dye than I did with their green. The unbuffed black canvas scales that I dyed on the new field knife took the dye hard and fast. I am very pleased with how they came out....the look of black g10 with the texture of unbuffed canvas :cool:

vlRQxKu.jpg

I really like how the "grain" still shows thru a little bit!

They look good Ron!! I'm having much better luck with the Fiebings pro black dye than I did with their green. The unbuffed black canvas scales that I dyed on the new field knife took the dye hard and fast. I am very pleased with how they came out....the look of black g10 with the texture of unbuffed canvas :cool:

vlRQxKu.jpg

vlRQxKu.jpg
I’m hoping this is what that Double Black Micarta that Jo mentioned is going to look like.

sometimes you HAVE to modify your knife.

This is my pre production proto of the Light Chopper, done in A2. It's the OG with serious mileage.

It was ground similar to a Racing Light Chopper, which was not generally intended for heavy chopping. It's more of a slicer and that's primarily what I use it for- clearing trail of light shrubberies and generally avoiding impact demanding material.

Over the holidays I used it for shortening a length of fir I'm going to use for a trail feature, that's about 3.5" diameter, but old.

Sometimes these fir keep growing among the cedar even though they're pretty much shaded out. They don't get very big but can live a long time in the right circumstances and just get denser until they eventually die.

They are incredibly dense and heavy for their size. If there is a knot in there, you can pretty much guarantee that it will be even harder and more dense. These knots have grain, and that hard, dense material is not only going to be hard on your knife, the grain is going to yank your edge around in a savage manner.

You can see the result of this encounter below, and the process leading to a resolution;
BJ4LGTa.jpg

fzzGa5Y.jpg

vjJPidp.jpg

VlaEPyg.jpg

53r2XZU.jpg

bwAeO8D.jpg

Wt4oo82.jpg

wIlpY6Y.jpg

sometimes you HAVE to modify your knife.

This is my pre production proto of the Light Chopper, done in A2. It's the OG with serious mileage.

It was ground similar to a Racing Light Chopper, which was not generally intended for heavy chopping. It's more of a slicer and that's primarily what I use it for- clearing trail of light shrubberies and generally avoiding impact demanding material.

Over the holidays I used it for shortening a length of fir I'm going to use for a trail feature, that's about 3.5" diameter, but old.

Sometimes these fir keep growing among the cedar even though they're pretty much shaded out. They don't get very big but can live a long time in the right circumstances and just get denser until they eventually die.

They are incredibly dense and heavy for their size. If there is a knot in there, you can pretty much guarantee that it will be even harder and more dense. These knots have grain, and that hard, dense material is not only going to be hard on your knife, the grain is going to yank your edge around in a savage manner.

You can see the result of this encounter below, and the process leading to a resolution;
BJ4LGTa.jpg

fzzGa5Y.jpg

vjJPidp.jpg

VlaEPyg.jpg

53r2XZU.jpg

bwAeO8D.jpg

Wt4oo82.jpg

wIlpY6Y.jpg

Thanks for the pics!

Two ques, please, ty:

1. Were you batoning or just chopping?

2. Do you believe a stock D3V LC would have deformed similarly under the same usage? Maybe you tried, perhaps?

chopping- although batoning can wreak a lot of havoc too if you're dealing with mature, knotty timber. It can be worse, since you don't have eyes on the edge as you slam your knife through. If your edge catches a dense knot it can follow the grain if the edge is so acute it can flex enough to change course

my stock LC has a lot more material behind the edge and I have yet to put ripples in that one, even though I use it a lot harder. Definitely have dinged the edge on rocks more than a few times. The edge geometry is totally different so it's tough to compare the steel's reactions to this abuse independently

btw, I adjusted the bevel angle originally to around 13 or 14 degrees per side, and you can see that in the photos. I could pretty easily get it to shave or split a hair. That angle is far too acute for a hard use knife, but holy shit would it fly through stuff. Live and learn

Last edited:
Back