CPM 154 characteristics

I just ordered a 4.7 in CMP 154. I have some experience with this steel and like it for its ease of sharpening and well balanced properties. Looking forward to checking out the new ergonomics, look fantastic.

Love my BassPro 110 in CPM 154. Aside from the very hard titanium/aluminum/nitride coating (I think that's the coating content -- anyway, it's very smooth and hard), it sharpens very easily and takes a very fine edge. Mike Stewart at Bark River Knives thinks highly of this steel. It's an improvement over the ordinary CM154 used by BM and Emerson, IMHO.

Just to clarify, will the CPM154 be heat treated at Peter's like the 3V and 20CV?
I'm 99.258% sure that all SURVIVE! heat treat happens with Peters.

Love my BassPro 110 in CPM 154. Aside from the very hard titanium/aluminum/nitride coating (I think that's the coating content -- anyway, it's very smooth and hard), it sharpens very easily and takes a very fine edge. Mike Stewart at Bark River Knives thinks highly of this steel. It's an improvement over the ordinary CM154 used by BM and Emerson, IMHO.
I have no 154 experience so hearing about actual use like this is helpful!

Can anyone say how edge retention on CPM154cm is compared to 1095?

Just to clarify, will the CPM154 be heat treated at Peter's like the 3V and 20CV?

Yep. We use Peters' for all of our heat treating needs. They are very knowledgeable and are always willing to work with Guy when he has one of his ideas.

Is the CPM154 just for the 4.7's or will it be offered in other sizes?

Just on the GSO-4.7 for now. We just did a small batch to see how it would do. We don't currently have any plans to expand on it, but only time will tell. You know Guy and his ideas...

Just on the GSO-4.7 for now. We just did a small batch to see how it would do. We don't currently have any plans to expand on it, but only time will tell. You know Guy and his ideas...

Thanks Ellie. Guess I'll have to add another blade to the list of 'need to buys'.

Back