cpm 3v and EDC with water

So, I have an older 5.1 (3v) that has the FDE coating that does not get used that much, I have just ordered a new 5.1, to use not sit in bag. So my questions are.

1) How are people dealing with water when they wash their blades and what about behind the handles? I never owned a carbon steel blade always cpm-154, D2, ATS-34 or M390 (Necker).

2)The newer ones are suppose to have the new heat treatment and this peen finish. Of course the new heat treat is not out yet but, how is the peen finish handling rust/staining?

3) Are there any tricks that i should know about when working with 3V to keep it in good condition ie staining/rust?

I use a 3V chef's knife and I don't have any problems with staining. In my experience no special precautions are required with 3V and fresh water.
Guy's corrosion testing has consisted of leaving blanks sitting out in the snow all winter and he has seen minimal amounts of easily removed surface rust.
Unless your use is more severe you should get excellent service from 3V.

If I'm not mistaken D2 is a carbon steel, but I could be wrong.

Either way I worked with mine in the rain and mud for over two weeks without anything more then a wipe on the Levi's and seen very minimal rust starting. I also experienced some freckling which from my understanding is how 3v tends to patina. This was very subtle and hardly noticeable. So far work and playing around water has not been an issue. If its the new 3v from S! then it will be more corrosion resistant and should yield better results.

Good luck bud.

Edit: I do recommend to remove the scales when cleaning, if you are in this kind of environment often. It will just mainly be for preventative maintenance though.

I was a little worried when they first went to the peened finish because some blades that I've had from other makers that were bead-blasted had a tendency to rust more. But a benefit of the new HT from S!K is that corrosion resistance improved even with the new finish. I think a light coat of oil under your scales if you're really worried would be all that's required.

Are you up here around Boise? I was just kidding about the arthritis thing :)

yep work in Boise Monday thru Friday but DON'T live there too many people! See this why I said you could LOOK at it. I figured you would not want to give it back. :)

will try putting oil on it when it gets here.

while D2 is a tool steel it is very close to a stainless steel, if i remember correctly.

Yea I took a peak at some stats its listed as a semi stainless I guess. I got my dad a hand made Dan Harrison in D2 he seems to like it and hasn't had any issues. But he hunts west Texas more then here in the eastern part where we live.

I think you'll be very pleased with the new heat treat. All the new models have a new style heat treat I thought. Its the 4.1 and on that's getting the super secret recipe. That was my understanding.

I rub a bit of Vaseline onto the steel before I put the scales back on and it works great.
As far as CPM -3v and D2 compare, 3v is quite a bit more resistant than the D2 for me. I've had a couple early Spyderco's and a few customs in D2 that were amazing knives, but they would stain if they weren't cleaned properly.
I hope this helps a bit.

I think you'll be very pleased with the new heat treat. All the new models have a new style heat treat I thought. Its the 4.1 and on that's getting the super secret recipe. That was my understanding.

I think you're right TT. I believe those and later will be the 'Delta 3V' designation.

jbsmwd, I do the same, I pickup/deliver twice a week into the Boise area, but live in Weiser--small, quiet, boring, works for me :) I still have two GSOs with the stonewashed finish. They have held up really good in our area. My 3.5, I've put that one through the ringer without any extra TLC and have had zero problems with corrosion. I have never pulled the scales on that one however, so can't speak as to what's underneath.

I also have an older 5.1 3v with DLC coating.

I'm confident after speaking with Ellie/Guy that the new peened finish reduces the corrosion issues as it closes pores rather than opens them.

Further more the new heat treat protocol leaves more of the chrome free, less is bound up so it's also more corrosion resistant. Ellie is confident it will do well in the Pacific Northwest, so I have 3 different models in 3v on order to test that out. If I was in ID, I would rock a new 3v all day long.

Thank you guys for the information. This makes me feel better about the peened finish and rust. Just wished the still offered the FDE coating, just looks nice.

I own coated and un-coated 3v knives from Survive! and I regularly wash my scales. I also live in the Mid-Atlantic where we get lots of rain and humidity. So far I don't have any spotting from my cleaning efforts and I might have a few "freckles" from taking them outdoors. I take care to wipe the knives down and to make sure the sheaths are dry (or as dry as I can with a bandanna when I am outdoors). I've never seen rust on any of my 3v blades. However I have seen rust and spotting my my 1095 and 01 knives. I am not a huge fan of D2 but it will rust because it's a high carbon steel. The 20cv is stainless and requires less maintenance.

My suggestion, don't worry about it, 3v is not going to rust like 1095. Basic maintenance is required, regardless of the blade material you should always take care to dry your knives and wipe them down with a food safe oil if you're out doors. When you come home wipe down your knives and the insides of the sheath. I am anal so I take the scales off and wash them with warm water and dawn (or any mild soap that will get the grease and grime out). I also wash the sheath with warm water and soap and finally I wipe down the entire knife and then air dry all three for about 12 hours.

3v is pretty low maintenance and can spot but not really pit. It might rust if you leave it out in the rain for a weeks (or months) and even then you can wipe/steel wool most of the rust away. Check out the below videos Guy did. I've handled the knives in the video and offered to buy them because I didn't think they were in bad shape. But Guy will only sell knives that meet his standards and wouldn't sell them to me. However the knives were not compromised IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNo2YUe-mbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831oJH6F6KE

Last edited:
Took off the handle scales last night on the GSO 5.1 in FDE and found some rust under the handles. I took some green scotch bright to the rust with just water, ironic, and was able to clean it off and then cleaned the scales. It was interesting that the FDE coating came off where there was rust but stated in place if there was no rust. The handle of the knife was heated up to dry the knife and end up putting beeswax on the handle and the back side of scales. I then heated up the knife assembled to melt the wax again to hopefully make it all one solid piece in regards to the wax.

Took pictures but I not sure how upload them to this site.

Lessons learned

1. ALWAYS buy a knife that has removable scales for maintenance.

2. Hey DumbA@@, always do the maintenance on said knife.

Thats what I learned thought I would share and hope you can learn from my mistakes!

Enjoy

If you need help with pics, email them to me and I can post them for you for a while. I have my own small FTP.

OBX 351 we just returned from a week in Kitty Hawk and Kill Devils Hill. I assume your handle means you have a connection there? We were fishing and sight seeing. Had about 6 knives along. No rust issues. I did not have 3v along but did have 1095 and a2. Also Cpm 154.

Hope to return in Sept

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

Yes our family has a house in Nags Head. My father's been going there since NH was a fishing village in the 50s. We'll be there later this summer.

Yes our family has a house in Nags Head. My father's been going there since NH was a fishing village in the 50s. We'll be there later this summer.

That is an amazing blessing you have. we rented a place on the beach with 8 bedrooms, and my brother and I both had our families along. 2nd time we did that. We had a offshore trip scheduled for Mahi Mahi, but the weather turned bad and we had to reschedule for later this year. Huge disappointment to us and the boys.

The surf fishing was also off that week... supposedly due to the north and east winds... but the half day fishing was awesome. And we went to Austin's seafood Market every evening for fresh crab, shrimp, and fish... that's the best part!

Back