CPM-3V... Maybe Sooner than we thought? (see post#22)

David, maybe you answered this for me before, does AEBL‘s maximum effectiveness increase with an increase in RC hardness? I have heard it said that it really shines with about 60 RC. Is 3V really tough too where It would be more effective than a good one in AEBL? Or would that be a different use than an AEBL knife? thanks.

Most makers, definitely production makers run AEB-L too soft. Probably for warranty issues.

That's something that bugged me about LT. W.
Loved their designs and craftsmanship, but Peters ran their HT too soft for best performance.
Everyone likes it a little bit different..... :)

This is the "Prevex". Basically an evolution of the Prevail, without the thumb ramp, jimping instead, and an extra 1/4" of blade length, for a total of 4 1/4" blade length and 4 1/4" handle length. This would fall under the large EDC range, and would be an amazing work knife, cardboard cutter, and given the weight to size ratio I accomplish with my hollow tang construction and thin grind, a lightning fast tactical or self defense option. I can see myself making these and offering options for plainedge or serrated, swedge or no swedge, and the swedges sharpened or unsharpened.

1700466332566.png

Here it is with the Prevail superimposed.

1700466520584.png

Let's say within the next 3-4 months I make a bunch of these in 3V, with NJSB waterjet and Peter's heat treatment, at a projected base price of $280, shipped in North America with a black Boltaron sheath. Who would be in for one?

.125” maybe .156”

But how thick would you want it? Nothing is set in stone yet.

Good to know, and I agree .188" would be a great stock thickness for this knife. In the end that variable will be determined by averaging out what everyone wants. Speaking of, I should indicate that the chart in post #1 is assuming enough knife folks want in. If I can break even on a run, then a run will happen. Until then, 3V will remain a mystery to me.

I would think .156 - .188 would be a good range. Can't see any thicker.

For me I need to decide if that's a model I want into for my regular uses.it gets just big enough to not carry well horizontal for me at work

BlindMouse2of3 BlindMouse2of3 that is the CAD file I'd use, but it would take me all of 30 seconds to customize your blade down to 4", or 3.75" or 3.5"

It's not economically feasible for me to make any fewer than about a dozen of these. If we get half a dozen guys who are for sure on one, then I will pull the trigger on a run of a dozen, and risk getting stuck with half a dozen 3V blanks of a what I believe is a great knife design.

Last night I tried grinding a tapered tang on this handle size in 3/16" AEBL. I liked how it came out. I think I might even be able to go thinner at the butt (next attempt). I feel like thicker stock makes it easier to do a tapered tang the only way I can (freehand) and so I have decided that yes I will make some of these, and they will be .188" so I can try to give them tapered tangs. That will, of course, be an upgrade option with added cost, assuming I succeed at the first one. Here's the AEBL knife I freehand tapered (post #6067):

It's not economically feasible for me to make any fewer than about a dozen of these. If we get half a dozen guys who are for sure on one, then I will pull the trigger on a run of a dozen, and risk getting stuck with half a dozen 3V blanks of a what I believe is a great knife design.

Apparently I love this "job" so much that I decided to just go for it, even though I only have one guy who has committed to one. There are 12 of them in the works. If I made just one, his cost would have been over double what it is now. And I would have made it, loved it, and wished I had not done it as a one off. Will I get stuck with eleven first run Prevex blanks? Who knows. But I won't be sad to be stuck with at least two of them!

Nah, people will scoop them up. I cannot as I have the Barax on order and I have to make sure I cover that prior commitment.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. The truth is, I wouldn't mind having a few of them to make however I see fit and then post on the exchange. That's how I got my start after all, and it would be nice to get back to my roots again, especially with everything I have learned since then.

Apparently I love this "job" so much that I decided to just go for it, even though I only have one guy who has committed to one. There are 12 of them in the works. If I made just one, his cost would have been over double what it is now. And I would have made it, loved it, and wished I had not done it as a one off. Will I get stuck with eleven first run Prevex blanks? Who knows. But I won't be sad to be stuck with at least two of them!

You know what they say, “There is one born every minute.” 🤨

Fear not. I have no doubt that the other eleven will be quickly adopted by other DM fans who are suffering from a bad case of FOMO. 😩

Grind fearlessly…if you build it they will come. 👍

Phil

Thank you for the very kind words Phil!

You know what they say, “There is one born every minute.” 🤨

Fear not. I have no doubt that the other eleven will be quickly adopted by other DM fans who are suffering from a bad case of FOMO. 😩

Grind fearlessly…if you build it they will come. 👍

Phil
The problem is in the product. It's not fomo and it's not the he grinds fearlessly it's that he grinds consistently and in a manner that aligns with requests. I have a bunch of DM's because they are even and consistent with great geometry. If I can generate funds before they are gone I will inevitably buy one. 🤗

Back