CPM M4 steel?

colubrid

Gold Member
What's this CPM M4 I am hearing about? How does it compare to other steels and what is its makeup?

It's a highly wear resistant modern tool steel useful for all kinds of applications.

If stainlessness is not a high priority and wear resistance is desired more than toughness it is perfect. Otherwise other steels exist that are at least equally good candidates if we ignore cost (h1 stainlessness, s3V toughness, etc).

If all that sounds a bit vague to you that's because that's how reality works.

It's a highly wear resistant modern tool steel useful for all kinds of applications.

If stainlessness is not a high priority and wear resistance is desired more than toughness it is perfect. Otherwise other steels exist that are at least equally good candidates if we ignore cost (h1 stainlessness, s3V toughness, etc).

If all that sounds a bit vague to you that's because that's how reality works.

You may have it a bit confused, CPM-M4 is both very tough and very wear resistant. Its not stainless but it is more stain resistant than most carbon steels, I would give it similar stain resistance to D2. It is also fairly easy to sharpen though waterstones and arkansas stones would not be my first suggestion.

CPM M-4 is probably the best overall cutlery steel available in the world today.

It wins virtually all of the cutting competitions.

Today, at least, it's the Rolls Royce of Knife steel.:thumbup:

My last 4 knives have been CPM M-4. After using them, I'd be reluctant to buy a knife made from any other steel, unless I was working in salt water, and then I'd buy CPM S90V.

What's this CPM M4 I am hearing about? How does it compare to other steels and what is its makeup?
It is a very delicious metal which feels heavier to me yuan other steels of similar size, maybe due to the tungsten content? I have a solid tungsten guide rod in my pistola for it's heavy factor, less flip upon firing.

I missed the boat on several nice folders of M4. Spyderco was one. I have heard good things about it but never got to try it.

Z-Wear-PM-chart.jpg

I get what you’re asking. Cpm m4 vs m4 right? They’re the same steel the cpmm4 is just carpenter’s version of m4. Despite the cpm it doesn’t seem to be a powder version of m4 unless maybe all m4 is powder, that I’m not sure.

M4 = CPM M4 = CPM Rex M4(hc)

Benchmade just released this:

https://www.benchmade.com/565-1-freek-family.html?trk_msg=TT4JCOGL6QS4BE4N36KL3REJ60&trk_contact=1J0ELUJ4G86QSSJUSV9T5T0K20&trk_sid=5H3DESH2LMN314LOLBLTG5NIRO&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https://www.benchmade.com/565-1-freek-family.html&utm_campaign=The+560-1+Freek+Is+Available+Now

Its CPM-M4, hardness (62-64 HRC)! That's insane! And they only release a coated version of it for a reason.. Am sure they tested it and it stained and pitted badly...

I don't know about you guys, but i don't like my knives showing any signs of stains... So i wouldn't touch this steel if it wasn't coated black..
You posted this in a thread from 2009 and lots have happened since then. You are welcome to start a new thread on the subject.

I don't know about you guys, but i don't like my knives showing any signs of stains
You wouldnt like my carbon steel blades then. I dont mind signs of use and quite like old knives, which has been doing what they were made for.

I have been EDC'ing a Gayle Bradley M4 knife since they first came out about 10 years ago. It is a nice knife that never seems to have any problem with cutting tasks around my shop, yard, and house. I thought that the cost was very reasonable for the quality of the knife. It is an easy knife to sharpen. As I understand it M4 is a high speed tool steel.

https://www.griggssteel.com/high-speed-steel/m4-steel/

seriously need to make a competition chopper in cpm m4... and build for high toughness you can still easily get 62 hrc

Back