CPM REX 45 vs CPM M4 torture test

Wow Mordhaus,you realy got faith in both blade's to do this test,thanks for it.for sure you now know what a "super steel" BOTH these knives have!Chapeau!

After hearing that first loud pop, I expected a sizeable chunk of the edge to be missing. I’m very impressed by that!

I was wondering the same thing between both of these steels. Thanks for letting your knives be the guinea pigs!

Whoa! That is gonna make my wait for the Millie to drop seem like f o r e v e r! I can’t friggin wait to get my hands on some. Thank you for sharing that.

Awesome test, Shawn. Thanks for stepping up to the plate. Impressive stuff, that Rex 45.

(Fortunately for me, one of our members was kind enough to alert to availability of a Para 3 at BHQ the other day. Looking forward to it.)

Yeah, if Shawn asked for volunteer knives to perform that test...it might have taken a little longer. lol

Is the corrosion resistance of Rex 45 assumed to be similar to Hap40 / M4? This is determined primarily by Chromium content right? I see a range of Cr % in Hap40 that can be a small tick above Rex 45/M4.

Last edited:
Yeah, if Shawn asked for volunteer knives to perform that test...it might have taken a little longer. lol

Is the corrosion resistance of Rex 45 assumed to be similar to Hap40 / M4? This is determined primarily by Chromium content right? I see a range of Cr % in Hap40 that can be a small tick above Rex 45/M4.

Very true! However, he is doing just that with my Bradley Bowie at the moment. ;)

Very true! However, he is doing just that with my Bradley Bowie at the moment. ;)

You authorized brass carving with your beloved Bradley? :eek::cool: Was there whiskey involved? lol

That'll be fun to see more steels, especially D2/PSF27. Of course if he's doing the same test, your bowie will throw an edge geometry variable into the mix.

You authorized brass carving with your beloved Bradley? :eek::cool: Was there whiskey involved? lol

That'll be fun to see more steels, especially D2/PSF27. Of course if he's doing the same test, your bowie will throw an edge geometry variable into the mix.

The price we pay for knowledge. ;) There is too little real info out there on PSF27 so I sent it his way. I trust him. There might be a regrind in it for me too. :) It was a little too thick for my tastes so I look forward to getting it back better than new.

It was reprofiled to about 30 degrees so the edge angle should be about the same. I can say that it took it well. He will be sharing it at some point.

LOL, I used to think scratching nails across a chalkboard was unpleasant enough to hear. And making this even worse, after each "click", I have the overwhelming urge to look to see just how much of the edge is missing. Good job!

For those of you who do not have time to watch Michael Christy's test video, here is the most important things I got:

Hap40 Endura and Rex 45 PM2 were sharpened to the same sharpness of whittling hair before the test. He cut cardboard with the same portion of the blade and alternating between two knives. He stopped when the knife no longer shaved hair.

Hap40 Endura: 924 inches cut
Rex 45 PM2: 1122 inches cut.

Back