Cpm s35vn t&e wip

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I finally got around to getting a blade made up out of this new steel. Nothing new, just one of the UNK's my buddy LT. Mike aka kahuana designed last year. He really likes this design and has given me positive feedback on the design. This one is a 1/2" longer then his. Mike's is 6 1/2" overall, 3 1/4" blade, 3" cutting edge CPM 154 steel. This one is 7" overall with a 3 1/4" blade, 3" cutting edge, longer handle.
I have to say so far CPM 154 is the best edge holding steel I've ever used and is easy to resharpen with diamond abrasives.
I'll be curious to see how the S35VN compares to it.
I will be posting here as I work with this knife.
Scott

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what you think of this stuff, Scott.
You know me, I don't know jack about the new steels so I'm learning from you.
Iz

Heat treated the blade Sunday. Got the handles on today. Finsh the handles tomorrow. So far everything about this steel is alot like CPM 154. It grinds just like 154 and the finish is the same. I got a load of cardboard to cut up. I plan on using this knife with the original edge I put on it and cut until it is completely dull. Should be interesting. You'll have to trust me that I won't be resharpening it until I'm finished testing.
Scott

Heat treated the blade Sunday. Got the handles on today. Finsh the handles tomorrow. So far everything about this steel is alot like CPM 154. It grinds just like 154 and the finish is the same. I got a load of cardboard to cut up. I plan on using this knife with the original edge I put on it and cut until it is completely dull. Should be interesting. You'll have to trust me that I won't be resharpening it until I'm finished testing.
Scott

You'll get some work on the floor with it this week Scott!

Hey Scott,
I think you'll appreciate the blade design and I'm betting it will become an EDC after the eval. Keep us up to date.
Good luck,
Mike

Got the knife finished today and did the first series of testing. I'll post pics tomorrow. Forgot to take my camera. I had the edge popping hair at the start.
First was cardboard cutting. I made 346 slices, 4 to 8 inches long in medium weight cardboard. A toilet paper case. Although not hair popping sharp, it still shaves hair with little effort.
More to come.
Scott

Ok here we go. So far I'm amazed.
1. First is a pic of the knife.
2. Next is the cardboard I cut yesterday. The box it is in is the same size as was cut up.
3. Then I took a 3 foot piece of pine lumber and cut it down.
4. Me cutting up the wood.
5. What was left of the wood plus I was able to do fine curls.

Scott

Attachments

• Picture 448.jpg
    Picture 448.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 214
  • Picture 449.jpg
    Picture 449.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 447.jpg
    Picture 447.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Picture 450.jpg
    Picture 450.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Picture 451.jpg
    Picture 451.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 139
Next I push cut through a 591 page catalog. Had to rock the blade but no sliding.
Lastly, I batoned cross grained through a pine knot twice.
The edge is perfect and still shaves.
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 453.jpg
    Picture 453.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 454.jpg
    Picture 454.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 452.jpg
    Picture 452.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 94
I was out yesterday and did some batoning through seasoned oak. The knife is still shaving sharp, incredible.

Picture461.jpg

Picture466.jpg

Great pics Scott. How do you like the size and blade shape? Does it carry well? Looks to be about the perfect size for a utility EDC or even a trail/backpacking blade. Thanks for posting.

Overall it's a great size for backpacking/EDC. Carries nicely in a KSF pocket sheath. May or may not be too heavy for neck carry. Have to try it out. Does well for batoning smaller rounds of wood to get to the dry inside. Everything was soaked yesterday. Batoning was necessary. Even small twigs were soaked.
Scott

Back