CQC "67"

I understand that Emerson made a total of five of these CQC6's marked with "7" on the blade which he brought to the NY Knife Show. I have one of them. Was wondering who else has one. What are your thoughts. Thanks

Regards,
David

Les Robertson has one
Robertson Custom Cutlery
He also has a damascus blade pearl handle
CQC6

I do not own one but got to handle one at the NY custom knife show.

For the few moments that I held it I observed that the knife itself was well balanced and the lockup was fantastic. Not too tight, a perfect fit with the blade.

I also really liked the filework on the bolsters.

I did not like the blade however. The width of the blade was smaller that other CQC6's I'd seen and the one I own and the blade grind was different, making the knife less substantial. The edge was also ground rather deep into the knife. On Emerson handmade folders I am generally accustomed to seeing a very thin edge that one can barely see, but this one was several millimeters thick. It looked like the edge on a production CQC7. I also prefer satin to the beadblasted finish that this knife had.

The CQC "67" are still exquisite knives but I prefer the older CQC6's and older Emerson handmades in general.

Jason

Hello Jason,
Did you see the "67" at Emerson's table or at Robertson's table. Emerson had already sold out by time I got to the show. I did buy an older CQC 6 that day. I picked up the 67 a few days later after the show.
Regards,
David

I only saw the 67 at Emersons table because it was completely crowded with people. A day later I handled the one at Les's table.

I'm glad that you were able to get two different CQC6's. What do you think about the knives in general and how do they compare to each other?

Jason Yang

I'll give you the whole story of my adventure. I went to the show almost directly from the airport. I Caught the red eye back from Las Vegas; arrived 9:00AM at JFK Saturday morning. I went home showered, then went straight to the show. I saw the older CQC6 at a dealers table. Bought it immediately. Walked around some more saw the 67 at Les's table. Couldn't justify buying two 6's in one day so I waited.

The older 6 that I bought has the satin single bevel blade, with Specwar logo stamped onto the blade. Silver thumb disc. Black BM type pocket clip. Pivot screw goes directly into the bottom bolster. The micarta has worn doen to a smooth almost beige finish. I showed it to Mary Emerson at the show. She stated that this is a old 6. Ernies doesn't make them this way anymore. She is a very nice person and great to talk to. Answered all of my trival questions.

The 67 has a bead blasted blade. Specwar logo is laser etched onto he blade. Marked CQC7. Blade is a little different. It has a secondary bevel on the edge. The top bevel and tip is also ground at a different angle. The blade in general is a little smaller than my older 6. File work on top & bottom of bolster. Piviot screw goes into a.... bottom piece? instead of directly into bolster.

I bought the 67 from Les Robertson. Great guy to deal with. Delivered the knife on the day promised. No hassles.

I like both knives They're the same yet almost two different knives. I would say a modern 6 and a vintage 6. Like buying a vintage Rolex Sub and a new one.
Regards,

David

Back