CQC 7 pocket clip problems...

Aside from the common way too high riding liner on the blade tang, my recently received CQC7 cannot accept the pocket clip mounted for the optional tip down carry position. The location of the screw holes are in relation to the pivot screw is such that the clip cannot lay flush/ flat against its respective scale. Part of the clip is resting on the pivot screw resulting in the clip angling away from its respective scale. Is there a procedure that I am missing? Should the clip be tweaked (difficult) to fit? The screw holes are very close to the edge already so I don' t think they should or could have been positioned higher. Any advise people?

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

I've got a CQC-7 myself, so I know what you are talking about. I haven't done it myself, but I was told that you can use a Dremel to remove some the the backside of the pivot to make it fit. I haven't tried that nor have I actually seen it so I can't really recomend it. The problem is with the CQC-7 though, not you.

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

Thanks Johan. I kind of thought so.
smile.gif
But this is quite odd since the tip up/ down carry is a nice feature and perhaps an added selling point, what does one do to have the clip mounted? Send it back with the companys requested fee and have it done? I am handy with a dremel but wouldn' t want to take on this job. Hmmm... I still don' t get it. Perhaps there are others out there who may not have this problem. Anyone else? Emerson reps/ customer service??

L8r,
Nakano

I have the very same problem with my specimen.
I was thinking of perhaps modifying the clip itself, by drilling 3 new holes some millimeters from the original screw holes, as there seems to be enough space for such operation.

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

I finally solved the problem by removing some metal from the inside of the clip with a file, to make some room for the protruding pivot screw. It now fits properly. I recommend using a dremel tool or similar...

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

Thanks Cousin. I think I will go with the dremel. With a carbide bit perhaps? Is the metal very hard?

But the more I think about this matter the more incredulous it seems that something like this can be overlooked by Emerson Knives. Is it possible that fitting of the clip in this position was not even tried before giving them a stamp of approval for leaving the factory?? Aren' t there any more people out there that have the CQC7s with this same problem?? (Sign.....)

I will look into this problem tomorrow. I hate to say it but, I am still carrying my BM 7 that I have had for about 5 years so i can't comment first hand.

Derek

This is a known "problem" with the CQC-7. The knife (as well as all other Emersons) was designed to be carried tip up. When designing the knife, 90% of the operators Ernie spoke with preferred tip up carry.

When Benchmade was producing the knife, they changed the design a bit by offering it only in tip down carry. BM felt that there was potential liability in tip up carry. This should not really be too much of a factor since most of us tend to carry the knife against the "back corner" of the pocket anyway.

Ernie added the holes for tip down carry to help accomodate those who were used to the BM style carry and did not want to change to tip up. The pivot pin in the EKI version is much larger than the BM version and there was just not much room to place the screws differently.

There is an easy fix for those of you that prefer the tip down style. Simply take off the clip and put more of a curve in it. this may not give you as clean an appearence as you might like but, it is a lot easier than getting out the Dremel and going to town on the clip or the pivot.

Take care,
Derek

Back