CQC7 Emerson/Benchmade

Yet one more question... My CQC7 Benchmade/Emerson Ti blade... I understand that they are out of production, bt what exactly does this mean? I'm a newbie in the knife world, and don't know exactly what I've got here... any feedback would be appreciated!

------------------
Justyn

Emerson had a collaboration with Benchmade but this is no longer. Emerson is now making his own version of the CQC7.

Framar Knives, a dealer in the UK still had some of the old Benchmade models, brand new, in stock a month ago. They can be reached on tel; 044 01254 264486 if anyone is intrested

i believe the question in hand here is BT what is it. it stands for black Ti in some cases its people just call it titanium nitride. i believe this will help you a bit with your question .

------------------
Mark-@-MJS
mjsknives.com
knifeman@mjsknives.com
1-800-434-5073
good as the best and better then the rest.

BT and BT2 is a Black Teflon based polymer. It offers corrosion protection and it helps makes the knife operate smoother. It is not Titanium Nitride.

Frank

[This message has been edited by Frank Ruff (edited 28 September 1999).]

Thanks for the info guys, but my knife has a Ttanium BLADE. It's not just Ti coated.

------------------
Justyn

Justin, the Benchmade titanium CQC-7 was an affordable low/no magnetic signature knife. It was made for those who would be working in areas where a magnetic signature could create problems i.e. bomb disposal. I am not sure I understand the rest of your question. If you are asking waht bt is, then that has been answered. If you are asking why a titanium blade would be coated with black t, I would think it would be for making the blade harder to see, glare reduction or for the lubricating properties of black t.

As far as what you have, in my opinion you have a low production model from Benchmade that will no longer be made by Benchmade, because Emerson now has a production facility and will be making all future models of the CQC-7. It really isn't worth much right now, because it is recent production and they are still available from dealers. To some extent, that is. If it is going to appreciate in value, it won't be for a while. I think it is a good collectors piece for those who are fans of the CQC-7, Benchmade or titanium knives.

Titanium is not known as a metal that will hold an edge under a lot of use. The titanium blade you have, has a carbide coating on the back of the edge. This is to help the knife hold it's edge. It will never be razor sharp with this coating, but it will get sharp enough to cut fairly well.

OK, did I miss anything guys?

------------------
Paranoia is only smart thinking
when everyone is out to get you.

I second Dirk´s reply, but the BM970ST is not non magnetic.
The screws and the pocket clip where normal steel, so this would give a magnetic signature.

------------------
Claus Christensen

When you have playboy channel, why get married

Back