CR 15 1840's Bowie - going to Blade 2005

This CactusRose 1840's Bowie is destined for Blade 2005...
so for those going to the show be sure and visit Tim Adlam's table - where this piece along with a couple of others, including our Lewis & Clark Hawk will be on display.

cr15-001.jpg

cr15-002.jpg

cr15-003.jpg

Gib hand forged this blade of 5160 a little differently - while it sports his rustic forge finish it also has a hollow ground edge - it measures 9 7/8" long. He file worked the wrought iron guard and butt cap to match the "grooves" in the A grade Sambar Stag stick grip. Once in my hands I added the spine file work and the age etching.

The Mexican Loop style sheath is made of oak tan with a buffalo rawhide "repair" covering the blade section, which is held on with edge beading and brass tacks. The two cross straps are decorated with beadwork. Tin cone tinklers with buffalo hair tassels are hung from the upper strap with copper and glass bead fringes. The final decoration is a small claw hanging off the lower strap.

Thanks for looking - Gib, Chuck, & Linda......aka CactusRose....

I'm a big fan of the rustic forgemarks and this is one of the most striking ones I've seen. The way the guard, stag and buttcap match with it perfectly makes it look like a fossil, something natural and not manmade. The sheath is a perfect match too, very decorative and subtle. I like how the beading only really shows its colors once you get close. That's a beautiful package.

Thank you! This type of work is our favorite to do and it's always nice to hear from others that appreciate it as much as we do....

Back