Cracked rivets...

Kydex is great stuff.

However often when I look at knives sheathed in kydex, I notice small cracks around the flared rivet ends. Is this normal and or acceptable?

It's really a split and not a crack. The base metal for rivets/eyelets is brass. It tends to split if stretched unevenly. The color is paint or metal plating. Yes, it is pretty common, but it really doesn't affect the strength. If it's acceptable or not is up to you, it's mostly a cosmetic issue.

There are a few tricks to not splitting the eyelets. It's mostly from using the hand setting punches. Carefully polishing the punch helps. Just the slightest amount of oil applied to the eyelet at the end to be flared also helps. A Q-tip with a drop of oil is the easiest way to do it, just a touch at the end. The best way to prevent the splitting is using a better quality flaring set. I've been using a flaring set from knifekits.com and it works great.

Cool! Finally a kydex question! :D

And I know nuthink! :eek:

i dont think split rivets are acceptable on higher end sheaths.....and if you think about it......it is a point that can fail......

I use a foot press to set my eyelets and splits do sometimes happen. I check for them and remove and replace when noticed. Eyelet can be removed by sqeezing with small pliers so it will fit through hole, then lift out with pliers. Snap-On #5 ignition pliers are great.

Kydex is great stuff.

However often when I look at knives sheathed in kydex, I notice small cracks around the flared rivet ends. Is this normal and or acceptable?

Just a thought, but if your rivets are too long for your chosen kydex thickness it also leads to splitting. Make sure you have the correct rivets for the thickness of your kydex sheet.

Hey Guys..

As far as I'm concerned, a split eyelet is unacceptable.. You won't find one on any of my sheaths.. Any that do split get cut out as well and replaced..

Length of eyelet has alot to do with splitting,, as do the dies, as does how they are set..

you'll mostly find split eyes on factory sheaths, as the sheaths themselves aren't worth the time it takes to knock them out...

A split eyelet on a custom sheath is just laziness on the part of the maker as far as I'm concerned...

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Totally agree with you, Eric. No excuse on a custom sheath.

I also agree with what Eric said. There is no excuse for that on a custom sheath.

Back