"Crazed" knifeman with Spyderco Endura shot by NYPD

Not sure if the news report is telling the truth but if it is, the man should be largely responsible for his death. It seems he started arguing with the cashier of a store and then fighting with an responding police officer and then pulled out a knife. Warned by that officer and two more other officers, he continued to approach them with the knife and that's when he is shot. I mean, replacing the knife with a rock, he would still likely have been shot dead given the situation. Nonetheless. it is a tragedy and a person is shot.

Not sure if the news report is telling the truth but if it is, the man should be largely responsible for his death. It seems he started arguing with the cashier of a store and then fighting with an responding police officer and then pulled out a knife. Warned by that officer and two more other officers, he continued to approach them with the knife and that's when he is shot. I mean, replacing the knife with a rock, he would still likely have been shot dead given the situation. Nonetheless. it is a tragedy and a person is shot.

well said!

Why do they always round up?

The Endura 4 AND fakes both are a little more than 7 inches overall. Barely

They say "8 Inch blade" rather than "8 inch knife" intentionally I feel. The person hearing it pictures a knife with an 8 inch blade extending from the handle

They say "8 Inch blade" rather than "8 inch knife" intentionally I feel. The person hearing it pictures a knife with an 8 inch blade extending from the handle

Actually, they rounded down as Enduras are 8.75 overall. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=208

Perhaps you are thinking of the Delica, which is a touch over 7 inches overall.

I think you give the media too much credit. Most people who write news stories are paid so badly that they can't afford to have an imagination.

Exactly.

Plus, "crazed knifeman"? As in "crazed gunman"? That isn't too cool at all. Even if the guy was a dumbass and got waxed of his own accord, that terminology doesn't bode well...

A policeman, assuming he is operating in full faculty, with service weapon drawn is approached by an armed perpetrator. Weapon is visibly identified and verbal warning is given. This is fairly cut and dry.
Where do you want to go with this?
Perp had an Endura? Good choice. The officer felt threatened didn't he? Wouldn't you? Not all good knives are owned by good people.

The Endura I had was bought off amazon, it says on the purchase page

"The Spyderco Endura 4 Plain Edge Knife is an example of Spyderco's pioneering in the concept of lightweight, clip carry folding knives. The Endura is made with high carbon, VG-10, Japanese stainless steel and is one of the best in function, ergonomic comfort, reliability and value.David Boye Dent.Enlarged opening hole.Spine Jimping.Flat saber ground blade.Length Overall: 7 1/8".Closed: 5".Blade: 3 1/4".Edge: 3 7/16".Blade Steel: VG-10.Blade Type:plain Edge.Weight: 3.6 oz.. "

And it was the police chief that gave the "blade" comment, not the news - I know the news has a knack for getting things wrong, but they are paid to choose their words a certain way often enough.

And the police do have an agenda, in New York that is usually an Anti-knife/gun/everything agenda. Could have just been an automatic choice of words but he was reading off a written statement, nobody knows for sure but I really feel like the publics mind is easily manipulated through subtle word choices, and there is a lot of science behind it too.

I'm not really sure, something just looked a bit off with the handle, but its such a low res photo its hard to tell. They do look like rivet heads instead of torx screws though.

Since I buy from Amazon, I did a bit of research and so far the counterfeit (good /almost perfect) ones are either E4 FFG or E4 SG Emerson. Never heard/seen plain E4 SG being cloned. They all uses Torx too.
If you enlarge a bit the blurry pics, you can see the pivot Torx.

Well, regardless, it adds to general negative view on knives. :(

Another instance of knife companies just not putting the correct information on amazon.

I want that too though, I mean, that would really be something for the collection.

How to achieve it though? A blade that Curves back over itself? 3d edge shapes? Or are we talking space time manipulation here.... cause idk if I have the proper storage for anything that rips the fabric of reality.

If I still had the knife I would have just measured it rather than checking where I bought it.
And I don't have the link to where I bought the fake one, but it was one of those mass produced chinese sights where you can get fake sebenzas and microtechs and stuff.
I swear I saw a fake spyderco paramilitary 2 once that said spiderman on it. Maybe the MPAA could sue them too.... and actually get a real criminal, albeit a stupid one.

I like to look and compare sometimes, just so I can train my eye to spot fakes.
I don't feel like my purchase of one knife will make a difference in support them, much like a single vote towards the obvious winner only adds a drop to the flood.
I wonder what the annual $ value of counterfeit and knock off knives looks like. No way to really measure it since I doubt they pay taxes or keep meticulous records that they would share honestly.

Last edited:
wouldn't even think to walk around new york city with a knife in my pocket! not these days,spyderco or not,wouldn't even carry a sharp pencil!sad.

Another instance of knife companies just not putting the correct information on amazon.

I want that too though, I mean, that would really be something for the collection.

How to achieve it though? A blade that Curves back over itself? 3d edge shapes? Or are we talking space time manipulation here.... cause idk if I have the proper storage for anything that rips the fabric of reality.

If I still had the knife I would have just measured it rather than checking where I bought it.
And I don't have the link to where I bought the fake one, but it was one of those mass produced chinese sights where you can get fake sebenzas and microtechs and stuff.
I swear I saw a fake spyderco paramilitary 2 once that said spiderman on it. Maybe the MPAA could sue them too.... and actually get a real criminal, albeit a stupid one.

I like to look and compare sometimes, just so I can train my eye to spot fakes.
I don't feel like my purchase of one knife will make a difference in support them, much like a single vote towards the obvious winner only adds a drop to the flood.
I wonder what the annual $ value of counterfeit and knock off knives looks like. No way to really measure it since I doubt they pay taxes or keep meticulous records that they would share honestly.

The Endura is well over 8 inches overall, with 8.75" being credible. All the dimension information you posted is completely bogus for the Endura model. The "media" did way better, as the knife is indeed in the 8" range overall...

I think it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that a folding knife with a 3.75" blade is going to be over 8 inches open, unless it was one of those French knives that need a sheath when closed...

Gaston

The vendor is responsible for the correct specs and not Amazon or Spyderco.

The correct specs for the Spyderco Endura 4 in question are:

Overall Length8.75" (222 mm)
Closed Length5" (127 mm)
Blade Length3.75" (96 mm)
Edge Length3.438" (88 mm)
Blade Thickness0.125" (3 mm)
SteelVG-10
HandleFRN
Weight3.6 oz. (103 g)

The that caught my eye (like many of you) was that they called it an 8-inch knife. I first heard this story on the radio and thought he was wielding a kitchen knife of some sort. Certainly surprised to see an actual quality folding knife in the written versions of this story. What a shame for us responsible knife enthusiasts and for the loss of life. Hate to see any incident end like that.

it is a good thing this did not happen at Target. They would sue the cop and the clerk.

I must suck at identifying Spyderco fakes, but I fail to see why that looks so fake to everyone. That looks just like a saber ground Endura.

so what I should understand is : having a knife = been a ''knifeman'' = been potentially crazed and dangerous. the oligarchs are stepping up their game from firearms to knives eh.... with Obama And the Pope(Caesar) having publicly signed agenda 21 for a world government by 2030, if they have their way, we will end up in a world divided in the 33 districts of the UN flag and imposed a full on police state in the name of «peace and poverty abolishment»

I think you've seen the hunger games too many times.

so what I should understand is : having a knife = been a ''knifeman'' = been potentially crazed and dangerous. the oligarchs are stepping up their game from firearms to knives eh.... with Obama And the Pope(Caesar) having publicly signed agenda 21 for a world government by 2030, if they have their way, we will end up in a world divided in the 33 districts of the UN flag and imposed a full on police state in the name of «peace and poverty abolishment»

Found the conspiritard...

Back