Create a plastic sheath liner?

...Like you see in many of the Scandinavian and Finnish knife sheaths?

Obviously there's Kydex and that sort of thing. I took apart a Roselli sheath and found a very simple folded piece of plastic. It almost looked like a plastic milk bottle but it varies in thickness. I encorporated it into the new sheath.

Anybody using handy materials? Making their own plastic liners? Not sure what I really think about the idea but it does have merit. Obviously I am talking about putting such a liner in a leather sheath.

Ragweed Forge sells some for a little money so there's that.

Laundry detergent bottle maybe? And a heat gun?

...Like you see in many of the Scandinavian and Finnish knife sheaths?

Obviously there's Kydex and that sort of thing. I took apart a Roselli sheath and found a very simple folded piece of plastic. It almost looked like a plastic milk bottle but it varies in thickness. I encorporated it into the new sheath.

Anybody using handy materials? Making their own plastic liners? Not sure what I really think about the idea but it does have merit. Obviously I am talking about putting such a liner in a leather sheath.

Ragweed Forge sells some for a little money so there's that.

Laundry detergent bottle maybe? And a heat gun?

I have been thinking about the same thing.

I've got little plastic sheaths for many of the carving chisels and the like in my jobsite toolbox. I took a plastic milk jug, hit it with a heat gun until the plastic was clear, and sort of "poked" the tool into it. Once it cooled, I'd trim the plastic and it was done.

I suspect something similar could be done for a knife, but thickness of the starting stock might be important. Of course, you could do multiple layers.

Have you considered making a 'shell' out of Kydex? If the 'shell' conforms to the thickness of the spine of the knife, this would likely hold it securely, while leaving the edge untouched (which would be preferable anyway). You could also add drain holes at the bottom (for wet conditions or submerging). If you were to use a 'folded' method for the shell, then tension could also be adjusted as needed.

Back