Creationish Vs Evolutionism? BE POLITE!

What do you believe? (private)

• Biblical Creationism (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christian Evolution (please explain)

• Non Christian Creation (please explain)

• Non Christian Evolution (please explain)

• Non Christian Science (please explain)

• Christian Science (please explain)

• inexplicable (creation cannot be explained through current science or religion))

• Other. Please explain in your post! :)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe a man, or woman, can do belive whatever they choose. Respect I was taught a long time ago is earned. You view all that is done, good and bad and see if it is worthy of your respect. Religion falls into the not worthy catagory. I dont know what you mean by world views.

A world view is what we base our interpretation of what we know and believe. The glasses we use no matter the lens or lack of lens.

-Buddhist worldview-suffering is bad so trying to eliminate it eventually leads to enlightenment,
-Hindu worldview-cycles of samsara lead to nirvana,
-Atheism-no god, no problem,
-supernaturalism-unknown dimensions outside of natural empiricism, and on and on around the globe.

Everyone has a worldview but not everyone wants to call theirs a religion....that's OK. I respect that.

People chose not to call some things religion because they are not. Atheism does not involve a deity, or higher power, so it does not meet the deffinition of religion. nhilists. science. Sports fans. Choosing to call things religion, and perverting the deffinition does not make it true.

Evolution and creationism is mostly a controversy in the US. In other places evolution is mostly accepted or mostly not accepted, I would like everyone to look up the country’s that don’t believe in evolution and see what place they hold in quality of education on an international level. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I don’t believe that someone thinking that the bible is the literal history of the earth to be someone with all the facts. There is a lot of symbolism in the bible like in many religious works, I think most creationist are missing the point.

There is no controversy, the mayoraty of the scientific community agrees on this.

How countries in the Industrialized World Rank in their belief about evolution

060810-evolution_big_zps8dbe472a.jpg

The US is between Cyprus and Turkey

Last edited:
I don’t believe that someone thinking that the bible is the literal history of the earth to be someone with all the facts. There is a lot of symbolism in the bible like in many religious works, I think most creationist are missing the point.

I think that is a good way to put it Ed.

How countries in the Industrialized World Rank in their belief about evolution

This demographic is going to match up closely with the ratio of secular to religious in those countries as well. I see a few countries with substantial Islamic numbers or Turkey which is 90% or more Islamic. The top half of the list (Japan excepted) is the center of the Renaissance, Protestant Reformation, Counter Reformation and Enlightenment as well as the countries that bore the brunt of WWI and WWII so it is logical that history has an impact on their outlook on faith and reason. There are obvious connections to be considered, some results of which are quite positive and some not so much.

Last edited:
The sampling size is interesting. In no way is it proportionate to their populations. Methodology of the sampling matters as well as the phrasing of the sample questions and manner of selection and contact. I am cynical of the accuracy of polls as you can see.

The sampling size is interesting. In no way is it proportionate to their populations. Methodology of the sampling matters as well as the phrasing of the sample questions and manner of selection and contact. I am cynical of the accuracy of polls as you can see.

Spoken like a scientist. :)

Skepticism is a good thing. Provided that it's due to concerns about methodology, and not just when answers don't line up where you want them.

Spoken like a scientist. :)

Hey! Don't cuss me! :p No, actually one of my classes last century was STATISTICS. We learned quite well how to skew them to confirm a preconceived outcome. For instance Iceland with it's population of 319,000 had 500 people surveyed while the U.S. with 310,000,000 had only 1,484 surveyed. FYI, Iceland has a smaller population than, say... Denver Colorado population 619,968. One can also ask their questions only on college campuses and get different answers than those asked in religious events or in bars. And then there is the "do you still beat your wife" ploy vs. the "do you think killing children is o.k." ploy.

Stephen Jay Gould expressed his opinion from the hallowed halls of achedemia. He claimed religion to be false doctrine, that his science was the only true religion.

It is simply untrue that Stephen Jay Gould believed "religion to be false doctrine, that his science was the only true religion."

THIS is what he very carefully explained that he believed: Nonoverlapping Magisteria

Thankyou for the correction. I have read a synopsis of it now. He put forth that they did not intersect as disciplines, in contrast to Dawkins.

It's well worth a read of the full essay when you have time. Gould is a good writer and few people on either side of the discussion treats his opponent so well.

Atheist - evolution

This topic is fascinating to me. I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix. It appears to me that the problem w/ evoluation vs. creation arises primarily b/c of the relatively recent phenomena of a belief in the inerrancy of the bible (The belief that the bible is absolute history and truth rather than instructive parable). It's only been over the last couple hundred years that this belief has taken hold amongst a small group of churches and believers. If the stories in the bible are just that - stories as parables - then there is no conflict with evolution.

The bible was certainly written by men. It was certainly written many dozens (sometimes hundreds) of years after the events they relate. It was certainly transcribed (and mistranscribed) by clerics and by hand over many hundreds of years. And the final version of the new testemant was not finalized until some time well after that - by men. A mis-translation or mis-transcription isn't such a big deal if we're talking about a story meant to teach me how to be a good person. It IS a big deal if you believe the tract is inerrant.

I've got no problem with any belief system as long as it's not thrust upon others. I don't like ID or "teach the controversy" being taught in schools. I'm totally okay w/ people saying "there's not enough evidence for me to believe in evolution." I'm not okay with them saying "there's not enough evidence for me to believe in evolution so it's not true and I believe the bible tells how people were created and that should be taught alongside evolution in public schools."

I live in Texas and I have young children so I have a vested interest in this issue. It directly affects me and my family. ID is a religously based belief and should be kept to those that want to believe it.

Stephen Jay Gould's nonoverlapping magisteria is a step up from Christopher Hitchens telling us that religion poisons everything.

I don't entirely disagree, but the two aren't completely incompatible. Gould was looking at the relationship between science and religion while Hitchens looked at the social, moral and economic effects religion has had on society. Gould was a scientist and Hitchens was a polemicist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back