Critique my recurve hunter

rodriguez7

Gila wilderness knife works
looking for some feedback on this design. It’s a 5 inch blade in ztuff steel, 58-59 Rockwell. Terotuf handles with green g10 liners, tube flare rivets, and epoxied. I think this is a good all around outdoor Hunter/skinner/camp knife. .200 thick, with a convex grind, taken down relatively thin behind the edge. About.020 thick behind the edge. https://imgur.com/gallery/kz9FVFa Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Looks great to me. It seems like you've designed it as a very good jack-of-all-trades, but master-of-none. If for some reason you could only have one knife and needed to process a lot of fire wood and then gut and skin an animal, it would probably be a perfect compromise.

But.... I wouldn't use this as a regular hunting knife. The general shape of it for gutting/butchering/skinning is fantastic but I would modify it a little bit if it was for regular hunting use. I would (1) soften the recurve (but without losing the belly at the tip end), so there is a straighter edge for lots of 'sawing' type slicing; (2) make it thinner and a full height grind (convex or flat is fine). That would make it not so good for other camp chores of course.

On the steel choice and hardness, obviously it could be a bit harder, a bit better edge-holding, a bit less toughness, if it's main purpose was skinning / butchering. If it's main purpose is wood processing or other abusive use, with a little slicing/cutting, then I think your choice is perfect.

Overall I think it's a great knife especially if it is a jack-of-all-trades 'one knife solution' wilderness survival knife.

looking for some feedback on this design. It’s a 5 inch blade in ztuff steel, 58-59 Rockwell. Terotuf handles with green g10 liners, tube flare rivets, and epoxied. I think this is a good all around outdoor Hunter/skinner/camp knife. .200 thick, with a convex grind, taken down relatively thin behind the edge. About.020 thick behind the edge. https://imgur.com/gallery/kz9FVFa Thanks for looking
The length suggest "camp knife" more than huner/skinner too me, especially at 0.2" stock - that is REALLY thick. 0.020" isn't all that thin either, especially a a Ztuff blade, i wouldn't want to use that as a hunting knife or really for anything besides beating through wood and metal. Why so soft on the steel? It's super tough at 58-59 Rc (again, is this meant to compete with an INFI blade for bashing through stuff?) but you could get better edge-strength with a couple more points.

I really like the steel, and I like the handle materials, but why is the back of the handle so straight? Too many knives do this, it should be more rounded. Why the hump in the blade spine right above the handle? I don't see the purpose.

For hunting/skinning, I prefer a drop-point blade if it isn't the size of a sharpfinger, but for a "camp knife" I think you made a heck of a design. :thumbsup: Tough and reasonably good looking. But doesn't suit my tastes. $0.02 and well done!

:) I generally agree with what's already been stated above .

I would only like to add that I do love recurve type blades , so for me it is aesthetically pleasing ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks great to me. It seems like you've designed it as a very good jack-of-all-trades, but master-of-none. If for some reason you could only have one knife and needed to process a lot of fire wood and then gut and skin an animal, it would probably be a perfect compromise.

But.... I wouldn't use this as a regular hunting knife. The general shape of it for gutting/butchering/skinning is fantastic but I would modify it a little bit if it was for regular hunting use. I would (1) soften the recurve (but without losing the belly at the tip end), so there is a straighter edge for lots of 'sawing' type slicing; (2) make it thinner and a full height grind (convex or flat is fine). That would make it not so good for other camp chores of course.

On the steel choice and hardness, obviously it could be a bit harder, a bit better edge-holding, a bit less toughness, if it's main purpose was skinning / butchering. If it's main purpose is wood processing or other abusive use, with a little slicing/cutting, then I think your choice is perfect.

Overall I think it's a great knife especially if it is a jack-of-all-trades 'one knife solution' wilderness survival knife.
I appreciate the reply. It is basically an all around type knife. I prefer a knife this big personally, for elk size game. The recurve is a little deep, but I liked the way it came out. As far as steel hardness, I have been testing this one along side a harder blade, and they seem pretty comparable as far as cutting abrasives such as rope. But this one is easier to touch up in the field.

The length suggest "camp knife" more than huner/skinner too me, especially at 0.2" stock - that is REALLY thick. 0.020" isn't all that thin either, especially a a Ztuff blade, i wouldn't want to use that as a hunting knife or really for anything besides beating through wood and metal. Why so soft on the steel? It's super tough at 58-59 Rc (again, is this meant to compete with an INFI blade for bashing through stuff?) but you could get better edge-strength with a couple more points.

I really like the steel, and I like the handle materials, but why is the back of the handle so straight? Too many knives do this, it should be more rounded. Why the hump in the blade spine right above the handle? I don't see the purpose.

For hunting/skinning, I prefer a drop-point blade if it isn't the size of a sharpfinger, but for a "camp knife" I think you made a heck of a design. :thumbsup: Tough and reasonably good looking. But doesn't suit my tastes. $0.02 and well done!
The stock thickness doesn’t affect its cutting ability, that’s all about geometry. As far as ztuff, well it’s a jack of all trades as far as I’m concerned. Better wear resistance than simple carbon steels, but way tougher, with excellent corrosion resistance. I have used it butchering pigs, and it holds up great. This hardness compared to 60 rc, is very similar in abrasive cutting resistance, but much easier to touch up in the field. As far as my testing, this steel is about as tough as infi, with better wear resistance. And holds up better in thinner edge geometry. The handle, is a preference, it fits my hand good, and feels really good over all. As far as the hump on the spine, that’s more of a design look that I like. I have pushed this steel up to 60-61 rc. And it’s great. Cutting rope, I can tell no difference in edge retention, but the softer steel is easier to restore in the field.

for a hunter, I'd lose the recurve on the edge
and ease the recurve on the spine.

My feelings also. I love the trailing point for a hunter/skinner...that is classic. But I don't know what the recurve or the hump on the spine brings to the party.

https://imgur.com/gallery/LFyV6eA A few more pics of different designs and blades I’ve made recently

Nice! Still not getting what the function of the hump on the spine is. I could see that if one was going to stab/penetrate, but that conflicts with a trailing point.

Honestly, I know it's not the sexiest, but my favorite is the one directly under the ax. That looks like a knife that could do anything well outdoors from skinning to batonning. I like it! Good solidly designed and thought out "what one knife for outdoor recreation" :thumbsup:

My feelings also. I love the trailing point for a hunter/skinner...that is classic. But I don't know what the recurve or the hump on the spine brings to the party.
Agreed...

On a "funtional" knife, there's little room for aesthetic...

Make the spine straight and maybe give it a good 90 degree.

Or not, your knife - your call.

Just critiquing as requested!

:)

Nice! Still not getting what the function of the hump on the spine is. I could see that if one was going to stab/penetrate, but that conflicts with a trailing point.

Honestly, I know it's not the sexiest, but my favorite is the one directly under the ax. That looks like a knife that could do anything well outdoors from skinning to batonning. I like it! Good solidly designed and thought out "what one knife for outdoor recreation" :thumbsup:
It’s just a look that I like. Nothing functional about it really. I just like how it makes my blades look. As far as that blade, it’s a 5 inch drop point in mod A8. Drop point for the most part is a design preference for some people not for others. I don’t mind them, but I really like the look of a bowie style trailing point. Or scimitar style.

The recurve has its function, when your rounding a leg to start skinning, it helps a lot. And if you need to chop some branches, such as clearing lanes for archery, it actually chops better than you would think, for it’s size and weight.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.
No problem...

And FWIW, I canceled one of the "downvotes" on Imgur...

Knife/Gun nazis will always downvote images when you make them public.

You can use Imgur to host pics as "private" and still be accessible by clicking on a direct link.

(just letting you know, when I first used Imgur I got blasted with trolls hating on pics of my firearms)

No problem...

And FWIW, I canceled one of the "downvotes" on Imgur...

Knife/Gun nazis will always downvote images when you make them public.

You can use Imgur to host pics as "private" and still be accessible by clicking on a direct link.

(just letting you know, when I first used Imgur I got blasted with trolls hating on pics of my firearms)
No problem. Thanks man.

Last edited:
I don’t mind them, but I really like the look of a bowie style trailing point. Or scimitar style.

So do I and a trailing point makes for a "classic" skinner. Ala the classic Sharpfinger which has a variant of your "hump", but more toward the point of the knife.

So here’s an update on my dads elk hunt. He dropped a nice bull! And this knife was put to the test, it did surprisingly well. But honestly I expected that. Skinning and quartering the entire bull, I had to touch up the blade once, 2 swipes on a ceramic brought it back sharp again. I did most of the bull with this recurve. And in my opinion, the blade shape was almost perfect for butchering a big animal in the field. It handled everything well, and the terotuf handles stayed grippy covered in blood. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Back