1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT, SATURDAY! Week 7 of the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Laconico Gemini, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at midnight Saturday, Feb 16; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!
    Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

CRK’s and birthdates

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Xm15pilot, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:32 AM.

1. Xm15pilot

Xm15pilot

Jan 15, 2018
    Im looking at new old stock Sebenzas. As I’m new to knife collecting this will be my first CRK. Does a brand new model with a birthdate a couple years old affect its value? I’m looking for a flag model and some sellers have discontinued ones.
    I searched the CRK forum and didn’t find an answer. Thanks

2. Stumpy72

Stumpy72

Jul 5, 2018
    Even though you didn’t find the answer to your question in the CRK forum, that’s still probably the best place for your question.

3. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Yeah... like stumpy said, I'd ask in the CRK subforum. I will say, though, that I haven't noticed much "value affected" interest in birthdates except for individuals who want a specific date for a personal reason. There's been more interest shown in the changes to CRK models, like a change in blade steel or the change in the steel's RC hardness, than in specific birthdates as far as I can tell.

4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    No it does not affect the value of the knife. What does affect the value is not having the paperwork and original box it came with.
    A used knife of any brand will not bring a prime price. Some have sent their CRK back for a spa treatment, it comes back looking new and then they will sell it for prime prices. Like any knife, the most sought after bring the best prices. Some CRK's won't bring top prices until several years down the road.

5. Xm15pilot

Xm15pilot

Jan 15, 2018
    Thanks for your help guys

6. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Adding to what Ajack60 said
    You shouldn't have any problem with value. Patriotic series of the Sebenza are very popular, and discontinued just adds to that.
    The one thing you may encounter is that the grease has dried up(sitting on a shelf that long) giving the knife a stiff action-just needs to be cleaned and lubed, which is easy to do.

woodysone, Ajack60 and Xm15pilot like this.