CRK Aftermarket Backspacer Thread

jacobconroy75

"Brain Cloud" is real.
BANNED
Platinum Member
I did some searching and couldn't find a thread with much info about this subject and decided to start one. If a thread does exist, please feel free to point me to it and shut this one down.

I bought a backspacer on the forum lately and tried to fit it today. Both my OEM backspacer and pivot bushing measured .1535 inches on my new Sebenza 31 DP. The backspacer I bought was .164 inches. This spread the rear of the scales and pinched the front...so much that the knife will not open unless a guy uses two hands to open it. I then wasted an hour trying to stone it down to .1535. Holy Cow! Ti is hard stuff!

Anyway, I gave up for today and will play around with fitting it later. T'was a good learning experience. I never would have thought that such a small change in measurement could have such a negative consequence on the functionality of the knife.

Let's learn about aftermarket backspacers! If you have 'em for CRK knives, please post a pic and name the maker (if this is allowed).

Got photos?
You mean me? :) I'll reassemble it tomorrow with the backspacer and get a few pics.

Edit: The one I'm playing with looks a lot like J2H, but varies in thickness by quite a bit. That's pretty impressive considering that it's such a tiny part. My suspicion is that it's cast...and of an unknown alloy.

Last edited:
ive been wondering if such a thread existed, thanks for making it. actually googled the back spacers yesterday, it adds no additional structural integrity im guessing? just pimping out the knife a bit?

What I'd like is to find one that has a 1/4 inch solid nub on the bottom. Not for hammering...but for tapping/nudging/persuading things. I'd rather replace a $100 part after abusing it than having dinged-up scales for the rest of the knife's life.

Or, rather than a nub, a 3/8 pry bar would be awesome. Maybe offset to be flush with one scale or the other so you can get it at things. I know that a lot of people would think that's silly, but I would use it. Since I carry tip-up in a sheath, adding a short prying surface would be super handy and make no difference.

I haven't really thought any of this through. Just daydreaming.

Or, rather than a nub, a 3/8 pry bar would be awesome. Maybe offset to be flush with one scale or the other so you can get it at things. I know that a lot of people would think that's silly, but I would use it. Since I carry tip-up in a sheath, adding a short prying surface would be super handy and make no difference.
then... buy a pry bar?

Lynch makes nice ones.

then... buy a pry bar?

Lynch makes nice ones.
I have one. Not a good fit for me. Haven't found a good place to carry it and so far, I don't need one often enough to sacrifice pocket or belt space.

I did some searching and couldn't find a thread with much info about this subject and decided to start one. If a thread does exist, please feel free to point me to it and shut this one down.

I bought a backspacer on the forum lately and tried to fit it today. Both my OEM backspacer and pivot bushing measured .1535 inches on my new Sebenza 31 DP. The backspacer I bought was .164 inches. This spread the rear of the scales and pinched the front...so much that the knife will not open unless a guy uses two hands to open it. I then wasted an hour trying to stone it down to .1535. Holy Cow! Ti is hard stuff!

Anyway, I gave up for today and will play around with fitting it later. T'was a good learning experience. I never would have thought that such a small change in measurement could have such a negative consequence on the functionality of the knife.

Let's learn about aftermarket backspacers! If you have 'em for CRK knives, please post a pic and name the maker (if this is allowed).

TTTis TTTis I think his name is.

Full back spacer, fits like a glove. Wonder if it would fit a small 31..

Ti and sandblasted:

UDUeekhh.jpg

WZsB3MPh.jpg

muH2OqUh.jpg

AfhSHgjh.jpg

7DZKKvLh.jpg

Cool. I'll check them out.

I have a Millet and J2K arriving today and will post them up when installed.

Some research indicates that there doesn't seem to be many flavors of backspacers out there. For instance, I couldn't find any full-length ones.

The mailman brought me a little bling today.

Initial impression = I like the J2H. It looks much better in person than the pictures I've seen. Good polish job. No problems during the install either.

The Millet is nice too. Needed some tweaking though. It was pretty tough to get over the pocket cloth as delivered. I plan to polish the flats so that it's only gold in the "valleys". It would be cool to have the back spacer anodized in gold. I don't yet know who could/would do that.

IMG_0773.jpeg
IMG_0774.jpeg
IMG_0775.jpeg

This is the first time I've added parts to a CRK and I like have a polished PJ that's not so PJ. Somethin' tells me there will be more. I have an Inkosi inbound and am deciding if I want to order a full-length DLC backspacer from J2H too.

Next I gotta find a good gold bead for a lanyard.

Back