CRK detent question

Hi all,
I've recently been thinking about changing things up and getting my first CRK, one of the Sebenza 21's. My question is how well does the detent hold the blade if the knife were to be dropped accidentally? I have stopped carrying framelocks because I have had them open when dropped before - but that is exclusively from a different brand of knives. My reference point is a pocket fumble or falling off a workbench sort of thing and not some YouTube torture test. Thanks in advance.

Detent is strong. You will even hear about it being too strong. To me it's perfect. On a 21 you even have the pocket clip over the lock bar giving it a little extra support. A sebenza will not open in your pocket. They sell pocket sheaths for 25 bucks for a little extra comfort as well. Pull the trigger my friend. Hope this helps

Most any frame lock knife will open if it is dropped onto a hard surface. I’ve dropped my CRK’s and they have opened up. Not as much as some of the other frame locks I’ve got.

I have had several 21s over the years, and they all have had a nice strong detent. As far as opening when dropped...I have not found out and hopefully never will! I can tell you they will take a lot of movement (like clipped to my waste while jogging) without opening.

Maybe focus more on not dropping it, as opposed to basing your purchase on it being dropped hahaha. Just messing with ya

^^^
Haha. Noted. Good advice indeed! Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been carrying back locks for a while now in place of frame/liner locks but I was working with someone the other day (who spotted my pocket clip) and we started talking knives and he started talking CRK, then he brought his 21 the next day... so now I'm here.

^^^
Haha. Noted. Good advice indeed! Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been carrying back locks for a while now in place of frame/liner locks but I was working with someone the other day (who spotted my pocket clip) and we started talking knives and he started talking CRK, then he brought his 21 the next day... so now I'm here.

ANNNNDD that's how it starts, WELCOME to the sickness.

I'm a lightweight around here, I've only owned 30 some CRK's.
As you probably noticed from the one you saw, they're really nice knives.

I've had one or two open a little when they've dropped but nothing big and it's not like they spring open. I've carried many different versions of many different models that CRK produces for about 12 years and I've never had one open in my pocket even a little bit, not even some of the older ones with very weak detent's.
I use my knives a lot, even on stuff that I shouldn't use them for and a CRK has never failed me. In using them I've dropped them on concrete, wood, grass, stone, steel, etc
( nerve damage sucks ) and they usually stay completely shut, usually. Like I said, when they open it really isn't much at all.

Not sure if I answered your question with what you're looking for but I hope it helped.

Thanks for the reply. That does answer my question. I have no worry about them opening in pocket and I realize a frame lock could open somewhat from impact. It is the springing open thing I want to try and avoid so thanks for sharing your experiences. I had a knife fall, open, spring and flip landing on a coworker's foot last year and that's when I stopped with framelocks. The 21 I handled had a nice strong detent so I thought I'd come snooping around here - I won't lie, I've always had an eye on CRK. So what better place to ask if I should go and spend some money?

I'm glad that helped.
You're definitely in the right place if you're asking if you should buy a CRK in this forum, unless you're trying to save money.

That's a one in a million shot, even if it springs open the chances of sticking him in the foot ( proper ) again, not a toe or his calf, or even the ankle are very slim- tell him his foot should be fine

He was cool. He was actually more interested in the knife that hit him. Thanks again everyone for your insight, much appreciated.

Back