CRK Slipjoint.....!!!

In the event that the only ruler that's available is a crummy office desk ruler, and the knife is just a hair over 3", who do you think will win the initial police encounter? Will the officer say "well, sir, all I have I this crappy ruler and even though it's a hair over 3", I will give you the benefit of the doubt and you're free to leave" or do you think the officer will make the arrest and let the court system sort it out (at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and lost work and nonrefundable bail bonds fees)?

If it gets to the point in a police encounter where the officer is pulling out a ruler, it's because the officer wants to arrest you. If the officer didn't want to arrest you, he wouldn't take out a ruler, because then if the ruler showed over 3", then the officer might become compelled to arrest you (depending on how much officer discretion is allowed in that legal area), and he's already decided to let you go so why bother measuring?

There's a reason why Mossberg makes 18.5" shotgun barrels when the minimum legal length must be 18" or greater. Mossberg, which is probably the second largest manufacturer of shotguns after Remington, doesn't even make an 18" barrel model. Because if a small amount of wear occurred and the barrel became 17.99", then it would become a short-barrel shotgun which is 10 years in prison. So Mossberg errs on the side of caution and adds the extra 1/2".

To extend this logic to knives, it would make sense if the law was 3" maximum length, that a knife might be 2.95" and in fact, the Small Sebenza just so happens to be 2.94". Coincidence? Maybe, but I like to think Chris Reeve himself designed the size of the small to be safe under 3" knife law locations.

While I applaud CRK for retroactively changing the blade length from 3.123" down to 3", personally, I'd like to have seen it at 2.95" or so. The 0.05" of blade length would be imperceivable during any kind of use, but could save tens of thousands of dollars in legal costs, should the official court measure it to be even 3.01". I don't think the street cop would have access to precision measuring tools, or even care, because other factors related to the encounter will determine if he wants to arrest you. But assuming an arrest is made, if you can have your lawyer compel the court to measure the knife and it's 2.95", then you can get the charges dismissed with much less effort than if it measures 3.01" and you have to spend thousands of dollars on expect witnesses to refute the measuring device and calibration the court used.

When I get my Impinda, I may asked a skilled friend of mine to sharpen it in such a way that it removes 0.05" off the tip, but not in a way that CRK would consider it modified and refuse spa service in the future. That's such a small amount of material that it should be imperceivable to me but potentially stave off a worst-case scenario in courts, if I carry it in an area with strict rules.

OK. (I said in an office work area-- big difference. People who work in those areas know what I'm talking about)

Last edited:
For sure it’s most legal here...

IMG_6328.JPG

I am glad I do not have to deal with this craziness in my home state. Hope that BS never spreads here.

Yeah even in California there are no blade length laws and I feel fortunate to be able to carry either a Spyderco Military or a lion steel slipjoint.

Hmmm interesting how it's exactly 3" all of a sudden when it was clearly 3.123" before. I'm actually kind of disappointed because every little bit that makes it closer to a medium sized sebenza the better.

I hope it was always that way and they haven't cut the blade down or gotten creative with what they are calling the specs.

I agree with people here that question whether a normal, clear-thinking police officer would arrest an individual and send you through the court system for .123”. If you live in a place like that, you gotta look at electing some new municipal officials as they are wasting your tax money prosecuting trivialities.

Where I live, in Western Canada, there is no restrictions on blade length. You can walk down the street with a two-handed sword, you are simply not allowed to threaten anyone with it.

I agree with people here that question whether a normal, clear-thinking police officer would arrest an individual and send you through the court system for .123”. If you live in a place like that, you gotta look at electing some new municipal officials as they are wasting your tax money prosecuting trivialities.

The reality on the ground here in Kommifornia is that no matter how often I vote that way, I always get outvoted. I am stuck with laws that are passed by people who think nothing of trampling on civil rights.

The guy loves the design of the knife but is disappointed by the fit and finish. I like the video for showing a lot of close ups.

I feel like the nail nick looks skewed on most pics I've seen. They should do something asymmetrical like on the Mnandi.

The guy loves the design of the knife but is disappointed by the fit and finish. I like the video for showing a lot of close ups.
Every question he poses is valid. Bottom line, the price doesn't make sense.

Reactions: HST
Has anyone else seen this or linked it here in the CRK forum? Lots of information straight from Tim at Blade:

I think Tim posted that during Blade, nice little video. Not sure I'd be able to find it now, after the crazy amount of traffic we had that weekend.

Tried it today as an emergence fire tool... feather sticks are not a big problem as you can imagine, but also it works surprisingly well on ferrocerium rod. Not as good as spine on Victorinox Farmer saw (also slipjoint) but can be used for fire starting if needed. That swedge is surely sharp enough for that.

impinda_flame_web.jpg

Back