CRK Slipjoint.....!!!

I like the looks of it, but I would be more interested in purchasing one if it had a lock and a thumb stud. A slip joint in this size range doesn't hold much appeal to me.

A slip joint that you can fully disassemble to clean is interesting. I don’t know of any other slip joint out there meant to be taken down by the end user.

Blade length 3.123” (79.324 mm)

OVERALL

Length: 7.144” (181.4576mm)

I think this knife is too big for a slip joint, I’d rather the Mnandi with inlays or a small 21, and the .123 extra blade length makes it over the 3 inch limit for the UK with slip joints ( not that I’d EDC there anyway. )

The way I view slipjoints generally are they are great to use in situations where a locking mechanism is either frowned upon or illegal to EDC.

I guarantee you in NYC a cop could still hassle you over this or any folding knife, I once read an officer even detained someone for having a paint brush with a pointed end, when confronted the man said he was a painter.. and he was still brought in. Lol

Can someone enlighten me as to why this kind of blade would be beneficial in any circumstance? Generally where a locking mechanism would be a problem so could a blade over 3 inches, or just undefined knife laws in general.. so I don’t see the benefit there.

Then regarding function I’d prefer a locking mechanism to protect my hand. I know collectors will grab one, but regarding function and / or legality does this make sense? Slip joint design but with a blade over 3 inches and total length over 7.

Looking for input.

Maybe easier to maintain???

Last edited:
I love the lines of the knife, it's beautiful and I will probably buy at least one.

The blade length of 3.123" is really unfortunate. The primary reason for owning a modern-materials slip joint is for legal reasons because locking folders are illegal in some places. If you're carrying a slip joint for non-legal reasons, perhaps for aesthetic reasons because you like slip joints, then you'll probably be carrying something with natural materials on an old timey type design. Knife laws tend to be written in "inches" in the US, at least. In converting to metric, it appears that this is just a hair under 8cm, so perhaps there are international knife laws that cap the knife at 8cm, however, I think making it be 2.95 inches would help ensure it works in more places legally.

Perhaps one can "accidentally break the tip" and send it in to CRK for factory sharpening service. Because if one regrinds the knife, it would break the factory warranty. But maybe if you broke 1/8" off the tip and they resharpened it, it would result in a semi-factory sub 3" option. Or perhaps if enough people request it, they might offer to regrind it down 1/8" at the request of the customer.

I do understand that knife laws vary everywhere and it's impossible to create a knife that would be legal everywhere, but given how generally knife laws work is in specific integer number of inches, it seems like a design oversight to make it be a hair over 3" instead of a hair under 3" but for all I know, they tried making it 2.95" and it didn't feel right in the hand... although they could keep the handle the same and shorten the knife slightly.

What I'd really like to know is: does it use a pivot bushing? If so, I'm definitely buying one. If anyone finds this out, please report! :)

Blade length 3.123” (79.324 mm)

OVERALL

Length: 7.144” (181.4576mm)

I think this knife is too big for a slip joint, I’d rather the Mnandi with inlays or a small 21, and the .123 extra blade length makes it over the 3 inch limit for the UK with slip joints ( not that I’d EDC there anyway. )

The way I view slipjoints generally are they are great to use in situations where a locking mechanism is either frowned upon or illegal to EDC.

I guarantee you in NYC a cop could still hassle you over this or any folding knife, I once read an officer even detained someone for having a paint brush with a pointed end, when confronted the man said he was a painter.. and he was still brought in. Lol

Can someone enlighten me as to why this kind of blade would be beneficial in any circumstance? Generally where a locking mechanism would be a problem so could a blade over 3 inches, or just undefined knife laws in general.. so I don’t see the benefit there.

Then regarding function I’d prefer a locking mechanism to protect my hand. I know collectors will grab one, but regarding function and / or legality does this make sense? Slip joint design but with a blade over 3 inches and total length over 7.

Looking for input.

Maybe easier to maintain???

Europe has all kinds of restrictions that this is a good fit for..but you can't account for the sillyness going on in NYC- One cop will let you go for it whereas another may detain and or lock you up because the laws are so vague.
As for locking mechanisms,..even with slipjoints, care is a function of use of any knife. Complacency has it's rewards.

Awesome, if I see your image correctly it appears finished on both sides!

Throw some full slab inlays and I'm in - even though I don't like it doesn't have a lock.

Did you get a chance to open/close one? Does it have a strong pull and snap closed?

That is a pic that was posted on FB..Don't think she has one..yet
I did get to play with one several days ago but it was one of the prototypes and they are always a bit wonky. Pull is pretty light on the opening, then it tightens towards the locked position. The locktype is being patented.

Europe has all kinds of restrictions that this is a good fit for..but you can't account for the sillyness going on in NYC- One cop will let you go for it whereas another may detain and or lock you up because the laws are so vague.
As for locking mechanisms,..even with slipjoints, care is a function of use of any knife. Complacency has it's rewards.

I guess with NYC aside as they are not really a great comparison for anything, I was thinking a 2.75 blade would have been better suited all around for the slip design and would have gotten through even more restrictions without sacrificing much.

It is interesting and should add a bit of excitement to the Blade table. Right now I am in the no group, but will keep reading and listening to the reviews. My opinion could change, but it will be hard to shake me from my small micarta Sebenza.

That is a pic that was posted on FB..Don't think she has one..yet
I did get to play with one several days ago but it was one of the prototypes and they are always a bit wonky. Pull is pretty light on the opening, then it tightens towards the locked position. The locktype is being patented.

What's the Damascus? Looks like a Damasteel in that photo...

I’m in the uk,did think about getting one and trimming the blade down a tad.

Couldn’t they have done a large / small variety with the smaller one under 3 inches and the larger one over? That would have solved it.. still not sure why someone would need a large slip though.

It's capacity that limits what they can do..They could do a large and a small like the Sebenza 21 or the Inkosi, but capacity is the limiting factor for alot of their knives and public wishlists.

It's capacity that limits what they can do..They could do a large and a small like the Sebenza 21 or the Inkosi, but capacity is the limiting factor for alot of their knives and public wishlists.

Yeah I agree, especially when they are USA made and have to pick and choose their battles.

I was just thinking out loud. I think the easiest route would have been just one standard size of 2.75 like we were talking about, at least as far as attempting to reach as many legal carry options as possible.

But I’m sure they considered it already and decided against it for whatever reason, they are the experts after all and they know their market.

That little extra bit makes a big difference in some places.

I’m glad I don’t have to worry over that here in the US.

Hopefully I live long enough to see a large Mnandi o_O. I heard something new was coming this year. Didn't expect a large slipjoint! Something is better than nothing. Glad they are catering to more people that are interested in this type of knife.

Very interesting, how was the lock up on the prototype?

It was actually pretty good, but still; slipjoint.
There is a vid on FB that Tim released that he shows how it works with an acrylic scale on an Impinda rotating through to lockup to show how the backspring works.

Yeah I agree, especially when they are USA made and have to pick and choose their battles.

I was just thinking out loud. I think the easiest route would have been just one standard size of 2.75 like we were talking about, at least as far as attempting to reach as many legal carry options as possible.

But I’m sure they considered it already and decided against it for whatever reason, they are the experts after all and they know their market.

That little extra bit makes a big difference in some places.

I’m glad I don’t have to worry over that here in the US.

Depends where you work here in the US. I can tell you there are many places that have the 3 inch restriction that gets levied on them by a governing body at the Federal level. So yes, a 2.75 inch would have prevented that issue and probably filled lots more orders just based on the slip joint aspect.

Depends where you work here in the US. I can tell you there are many places that have the 3 inch restriction that gets levied on them by a governing body at the Federal level. So yes, a 2.75 inch would have prevented that issue and probably filled lots more orders just based on the slip joint aspect.
This is the only reason I'm out on this knife for now. I've got a three inch law where I live/work and that .123 over is just enough to get you a felony. Really curious as to why they chose this blade length.

Back