CRKT Heiho blade/edge geometry

I took a CRKT Heiho on trade and got to looking at the edge geometry today. I believe this knife is billed as a self-defense weapon as much as a cutting tool, so maybe that's why it is the way it is. This knife has to have the fattest/thickest edge profile behind the edge of anything I have ever seen! It looks to be almost 1/16" thick at the bevel, and the included angle looks almost 90-degrees (45-degrees per side).

Is this because it is intended to tolerate stabbing and thrusting? Is this common on the James Williams designed CRKTs? I know this knife has not been reground to this profile, I'm sure it is original.

I am probably going to reprofile this thing, but I'm wondering if it is a purposeful design, or a quality issue on this particular knife. Reprofiling on my spyderco sharpmaker diamond rods will take a month and maybe a whole set of rods. This will be a job for a belt grinder, for sure!

Thanks,
TRfromMT

Well, I spent lunch break today reprofiling this thing on a belt grinder at work. Tonight I polished the new bevel, which is probably a full 3/16" back from the edge, with 400 grit paper backed by a leather strop. Then I went to work with my Sharpmaker with the coarse diamond rods at 30° all the way through the ultra fine rods at 40°. This thing is hair popping sharp now. Its a little low tech on the grinding, and the end result is certainly not pretty. However, the point is absolutely needle sharp, but still has a lot of meat behind the point to keep it stout. I like!

emsdYugm.jpg

I'd say the factory geometry was a quality issue. A knife is made to cut things.

兵法 costs ¥240 here in china, the price approximately equals to 35 bucks.

Made in Yangjiang , Guangdong Province.

Grind it into any profile you like and have fun :)

兵法 costs ¥240 here in china, the price approximately equals to 35 bucks.

Made in Yangjiang , Guangdong Province.

Grind it into any profile you like and have fun :)

This... exactly what I thought. Not a lot at risk, and I wanted to know how closely I could free-hand a bevel. Very happy with the results, and even though it was inexpensive, it's kind of a cool little knife.

Back