"Cross-cut" Stabilized Wood For Scales?

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I don't know if I am using the correct terminology, so I will explain:

I have some blocks of ambrosia maple and spalted hackberry that have been stabilized by K & G. They are about 5"X1.5"X1". The grain does not run along the length of the blocks, so I am saying that the end grain is what shows on the sides, not at the ends. I just sent these two blocks like this to K and G along with a bunch of other ones just for the heck of it. I don't know how durable a handle would be if made with this wood. has enybody here ever made a handle like that? Did it stay on good? Not fall apart?

Thank you.
Andy

I have done some with "end grain" perpendicular to the tang, but I have adhered G10 liner material to the tang side of the scales. Both stabilized and non-stabilized (Sealed well). They have held up well.

Cross cut straight grain is pretty, and cracks like a mofo, stabilized or not.
What Jason said. I made a blade about 5 years ago with a block of some awesome looking spalted maple stabilized by K&G that I cut into scales cross-cut-wise to really show the spalting line. It looked great for about 3 years until one scale cracked.

Cross cut burl is fairly standard and nothing to worry about with quality stabilization. Cross cut straight grain is pretty, and cracks like a mofo, stabilized or not.

My personal experience mirrors this.

But on top of that, I'm just not a fan of the aesthetic. Hate to see beautiful curly birch cross cut, in particular.. and due to the grain it's done fairly often.

Back