crossing over....

I'm thinking about crossing over from CRK to a hinderer. I would like a cool xm-18 and I see other scales/ add ons.

Would this be easy to take apart and put back together?

should i stick with my CR and step in to RH?

I "crossed over" and rarely look back. But it all boils down to personal preferences.

Yes the XMs come apart, but evidently some find it a bit difficult getting them back to factory set-up as they reassemble...not all of us have that issue.

All great knives and easy to take apart. You'll need a Hinderer tool or a spanner tool to disassemble a Hinderer. You can have a lot of fun customizing a Hinderer and also spend a lot of money.

fc4f3f6c18b049984df5e37f78780881.jpg

f4b956fd504822b6aaab18ad90b9bebf.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
CRK makes a great knife, I own half a dozen. I carry and use my RHK's not because I have to.
I still appreciate a nice knife no matter who makes it.
Get one and give it a try. Judge for yourself. IF for some reason you don't want it, you'll have no trouble remedying the situation but at least You will know.

Hinderers are GREAT knives with LOTS of options. Disassembly & reassembly is not difficult. Plenty of guides in the various sites & utube. I recommend Herders Barn Finds. Great guys & great buys.

I have one of each. 1 sebenza 1 XM-18. They are both excellent knives. They both have their differences tho.

Porsche vs Corvette? I love both and for me, one or the other is always in my pocket.

Porsche vs Corvette? I love both and for me, one or the other is always in my pocket.

great to hear!!!! I prefer a Porsche... probably.

I wish I could keep both, but maybe I will try out a Hinderer "sometime." I'm enjoying putting my Chris Reeve through good use.

Also @eyeDog. Im loving the cross lanyard bead!

I really like my XM-18s... I have one in 3.5" 20CV spearpoint and one in 3" S35VN slicer. IMO the XMs could easily replace an Umnumzaan or a Seb. 25, but the 21s stand alone. For me choosing between a Sebenza 21 and an XM-18 would be a tough choice... mainly because they are not similar enough. I think between the Lg 21 and the 3.5" XM I would choose the Lg Seb. Between the Sm Seb and the 3" XM, though it would be a tougher choice, I would likely choose the XM-18. Either way I prefer the S35VN over the 20CV.
Edited to add:
Another consideration is that the CRK, at least the dozens I've owned is a much finer made product, not that that's a big deal. It just is what it is. My XMs have more in common, as far as overall machining quality, with a Kershaw or Spyderco than they do with a CRK. The XMs feel like they were made in a large factory where my CRKs feel and appear like they were painstakingly individually made.

Also, the XMs are more fun and the Sebs are prettier, IMO.

Last edited:
I don't want to argue...but do want to post...Hinderer knives certainly do not have the mass-produced vibe/feel/etc of some of the knives mentioned above. And they were not really designed to be pretty...more of a Porsche-saying-thing of form follows function.

I recently sold my Seb to fund my Xm-18 and I think it was a good move for a few reasons.

First, It has a superior steel. I went with the CPM20CV. This steel at their RD has proven to me tougher and hold an edge longer than the S35V CRK uses. I am not really all that sure about what I think on their soft RC. They say its for ease of sharpening, but I have experienced them dulling very fast and to the point of a crappy edge after some light cutting of cardboard, or some rope. I love the SEB but hated hated hated the fact that it would dull while in my pocket.

Second, I love how the RHK can be customized to your liking. Not everyone likes two plain slabs of Ti (me personally, I like the look of the seb). With that being said, I feel that a Combo of Ti and say G10 gives the knife more personality. Especially since there are so many different configurations that you can put together to suit your liking.

Third, they are just as easy to take down as the Seb. There are no special tools involved. I can hold one side of the pivot with my thumb while turning the pivot screw.

Lastly, if anyone thinks that the RHK has the feel of something like a production Spyderco or Kershaw, I think you are sadly mistaken. My XM-18 is put together so well its crazy. Its also crazy smooth, and locks up like a bank vault with no play in any direction.

OK. Let's Not do what is trending. This isn't GD. We aren't doing comparos .....
This is RHK and there is a forum for CRK and then GD.

thanks guys! i liked the pictures to compare them, and then i briefly spoke to a forum member here, great guy and helping me to think through this dilemma. both look and sound great to me!

OK. Let's Not do what is trending. This isn't GD. We aren't doing comparos .....
This is RHK and there is a forum for CRK and then GD.

Sorry. I just hate the fact that people refuse to think there is anything better than CRK.

I will not post anymore in this thread unless it's solely about RHK

Don't assume because of post order a comment (made by me) is directed at a comment ( made by you).
If I am directing a post at a specific individual - they'll know it.
My comment was General in nature.

Don't assume because of post order a comment (made by me) is directed at a comment ( made by you).
If I am directing a post at a specific individual - they'll know it.
My comment was General in nature.

Sounds good. Thanks for the clarification.

This time last year I was all about the step up to crk/strider/hinderer, got them all and love them all but at this point the xm18 and 24 seem to live in my pockets while the crk a seem to live on the desk and the striders are sold, albeit stupidly. You will love both and find fault in both, it isn't worth trying to justify why you need one over the other until you have had both in hand. Nothing said here will sway your decision making more than the feel of either knife in your hands.

Why cross over? Hinderers and CRK's don't self destruct in each other's presence. ;)

Two very good knives with completely different usage goals. There are times I wouldn't trade my xm for a seb, but just as many I wouldn't trade the other way. Will they both do it all? Of course, if called upon.

Agree with Lone_Wolfe. I have both, and respect the qualities & differences in each of them.

Back