Cru Forge V SK Wishes

As I have beat the snot out of my 4.7 in Cru forge V for several months now, I have a request for Survive!. Can you please make a 4.1 and 3.5 in this steel. I really believe that these two models would lend themselves well to this steels characteristics.
I'm not sure the future plans of the SK like and what steel is planned for this lower priced "budget" model, but I am hopeful that the Cru Forge has made the cut in will be the steel of choice. Just my two cents and wish list.

I would be surprised if they develop anything more with the CFV. It's just too close to the CPM-3V price at the end of the day. S!K's price comes in the finishing process as much or more so than their material I assume. That being said.. I totally agree! I love 52100, the extra vanadium is just a bonus.

I think I saw something about a delay in the CFV knives getting coated.. oh dear. I hope Ellie has her ears on.

I know you are right Grogimus, but I can wish right. Maybe we can get a limited run or something of that flavor. Lets just hope with the premade specs the Cru Forge V sticks around. I have taken a liking to it and would like to explore it more in a smaller and thinner Survive! variant. I think the 4.1 and the 3.5 would lend itself to a thinner edge and I really would like to see how the steel reacts to a 17 degree or less per side edge.

I know you are right Grogimus, but I can wish right. Maybe we can get a limited run or something of that flavor. Lets just hope with the premade specs the Cru Forge V sticks around. I have taken a liking to it and would like to explore it more in a smaller and thinner Survive! variant. I think the 4.1 and the 3.5 would lend itself to a thinner edge and I really would like to see how the steel reacts to a 17 degree or less per side edge.
I totally agree with you I just worry how long it would take and or slow down production of other models, but I would love to get one

I bought a 4.1 off the FB exchange that should be trash, it's running at 12'ish dps. It's a stupid angle, but I'll be damned if it doesn't just keep on cutting anything I throw at it.

This is maybe the third reference I've seen to CFV holding its own relative to 3V recently. Nice to hear it's performing well. I know the testing I did with it impressed me.

I remembered seeing this from one of their instagram posts. My guess would be the 4.5 bushcrafter will be the other blade offered in CFV, if they're still planning another run with it.

surviveknivesMystery steel reveal! Crucible Cru Forge V, a vanadium modified 1% carbon steel, is a great choice for those who prefer a more basic carbon steel but would like improved performance over the more common 10XX type steels.
We currently have one more production run of this steel in the pipeline, with a different knife design but if we see a demand from the carbon steel crowd, we'll make plans to produce more blades in this steel type in the future. #surviveknives #cruforgev

Last edited:
For the price, what are you guys liking about it that you would consider it over 3V? I have CG's sample model in front of me now, so maybe I can answer that myself with some use. I've got a lot of use on 52100, none with CFV yet.

I remembered seeing this from one of their instagram posts. My guess would be the 4.5 bushcrafter will be the other blade offered in CFV, if they're still planning another run with it.
Whoa, nice! I forgot all about this. Good find!

For the price, what are you guys liking about it that you would consider it over 3V? I have CG's sample model in front of me now, so maybe I can answer that myself with some use. I've got a lot of use on 52100, none with CFV yet.
I'm wondering the same exact thing. Having used 3v and the cruforge I can say both are exceptional, but I can't say my steel-sense is strong enough to tell a difference between the two. Considering that cruforge isn't drastically cheaper than 3v AND that S!K arguably has the world's best 3v, is there a need for both?

I was thinking that they might be implying its use in LARGER models where differences in steel-price might have more of an impact... then again, that would mean a bigger cerakote-job, not sure if the costs wouldn't even-out in the end. *shrug*

EDIT to add: Main difference I saw comparing the CruV to the 3V was in cutting sheet metal - the CruV edge degraded visibly from being hammered through the metal (though not drastically, was still an easy fix), whereas the GSO-5.1 in 3V remained intact with no visible sign of degradation - it wouldn't shave afterward, but it would still slice print-paper with ease. I am considering saving my 3V 4.7 edge from use until I have the D3V 4.1 on hand to compare the two against eachother, see if there is any noticeable difference in my hands...

Last edited:
I figured the bushcrafter because if you look at the competition, they pretty much all have a bushcraft knife in a simple non stainless. But, as Chiral stated, a larger chopping blade would be my next guess. The 4.1, 3.5, 5.1, and 6 are all too similar to the CFV 4.7 to warrant trying any of them in CFV, IMO. A GSO 8, 10 or 12 would be good to test the performance in a larger hard use blade and the 4.5 would be good for seeing how well the steel does in a thin blade. Personally I'd like to see the 8 offered in CFV, but I already have one on order in 3v and I don't think I need two...or do I?

I don't think that there is anything that CFV can do that 3V couldn't do better.
I'm assuming that 3V is more expensive and harder to grind, and possibly more expensive to heat treat.

I don't think that there is anything that CFV can do that 3V couldn't do better.
I'm assuming that 3V is more expensive and harder to grind, and possibly more expensive to heat treat.

I don't think CFV does anything "better" than 3V, but I do find it to hold up VERY well and is very easy to put a scary edge on. Don't get me wrong I love 3v and for that matter 20CV from Survive!, I just want to explore CFV as well. It's crazy, but I hope we see a non coated option. I would love to try a forced patina I just don't want to put in all the work that comes with removing the coating.

I'd buy another Cru V Survive in a heartbeat, since I never tend to cut sheet metal with my knives or at all. Having said that I think the coating is key due to the rust prone nature of the steel, so patina or coating would be key here....

3V is going to be tougher, but CFV is no slouch. It has pretty ridiculous abrasion resistance for a "simple" low alloy steel. it is less similar to 52100 and more like 50-100B/170-06/1095CV with a lot more vanadium. The chromium in CFV was an afterthought put in to make it roll more easily and harden deeper. Having hand sanded both 3V and CFV, I can tell you that 3V at 60-61 is easier to finish than CFV at the same hardness.

CFV is ingot, 3V is CPM, so the grain size on 3V should be smaller, and that might make it easier to get the hand finish that you want.

I agree with C.G. I would love to see a CFV in a 5.1 and bigger knife. I wonder if scale would help bring the price down. But I too have beat the crap out of my CFV 4.7 and I LOVE it. I would buy an uncoated CFV knife. I have several LT Wright knives in 01 that aren't coated and I've had no issues with staining or rusting, so far. Not wanting S!K to copy or compete with Busse but I think the D3V and CFV would be pretty comparable to INFI and SR-101.

I agree with C.G. I would love to see a CFV in a 5.1 and bigger knife. I wonder if scale would help bring the price down. But I too have beat the crap out of my CFV 4.7 and I LOVE it. I would buy an uncoated CFV knife. I have several LT Wright knives in 01 that aren't coated and I've had no issues with staining or rusting, so far. Not wanting S!K to copy or compete with Busse but I think the D3V and CFV would be pretty comparable to INFI and SR-101.

***OBX, I'm using your quote, but putting this out to the forum in general.***

I like it when companies run models in both types of steel, especially on the really popular models. I think sometimes we (I) get way too hung up on what is the 'best.' The 'best' steel for one outing may not be the 'best' steel for the next outing for MY way of life. YMMV

For example, I do lots of 1-2 day outings. I love 3V for these short trips ---> Use it as hard as you want and do the maintenance when you're back home. HOWEVER, when I can get away for the longer trips a few times a year, that's when I feel that the steels like CFV and SR101 really shine ---> Use it hard and easily maintain it in the field.

Because of this, I tend to buy models like the GSO 4.7, Swamprat RMD, and CPK FK in more than one steel (don't have a CFV 4.7 of my own yet). So these combos would be CFV and 3V GSO 4.7, SR101 and INFI SRKW RMD, and A2 and D3V CPK FK.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the options, they work for me.

Back