CS Kelly Perfect Axe - Louisville, KY

So, I was wandering around a flea market in a little bumpkin town in PA, and found a fella selling some axes and old yard tools. Among the Stanley and Plumb hatchets was this beauty.. The stamping caught my eye first, then the name, then the "Patented 1885". Guy had $10 on it, and I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

Until then, I knew nothing about axes, other than the "good" brands.

So I did a quick Google-fu and found that one had just sold for $500, and one a while back for $1200.. My blood started pumping.

Can anyone tell me what I have here, as far as history, and maybe a figure on what I should sell it for? I know that it's seen use, rain, and plenty of time on the grindstone.. But I'm debating on whether or not to sell it. I've been wanting a Sebenza 21 for a while..

Pics might be small, but the stamp/etch says:

WC Kelly
Perfect Axe
Patented Sept. 29th 1885
Made By
Kelly Axe Mfg Co
Louisville
Kentucky
USA​

Thanks much!, any help or guidance is welcome!

Sweet find. I wouldnt use it, but that's up to you. The 500 and 1200 dollar ones I believe had nice handles and where in pretty good shape. They also had writing on the other side. Yours has seen better days but you could still sell if for a good profit on the bay. I found a similar one for $35 and was total pumped!!

Sweet find. I wouldnt use it, but that's up to you. The 500 and 1200 dollar ones I believe had nice handles and where in pretty good shape. They also had writing on the other side. Yours has seen better days but you could still sell if for a good profit on the bay. I found a similar one for $35 and was total pumped!!

Yeah.. I noticed the writing, and handles especially. Mine looks like a hardware store special, but is smooth as a baby's bottom from being used.

What do you recommend I start the bidding at?

EDIT: Did a little digging - of all of the photos I've seen with the writing, the heads were "Patented May... 1889". Mine is 1885..

Last edited:
That one has a crack in addition to being worn and mushroomed. The logo is in good shape though. Condition is very important. I'd start the bidding at $9.99 with $5.95 shipping. You probably won't see $500 but you'll make some money.

I wouldn't use it. I would keep it as a wall hanger. It will go up in value with time. A steal of a deal!

Condition might affect the value, but I would think it would still be valuable for a collector. I think this axe falls into a different category where history is more important than condition (to a certain degree) - it belongs in a museum but what's the demand? I don't really know. I don't personally get the deal with CRK but I do understand the idea of having something valuable in hand that you don't want as much as something else that costs $$$ - I'd make an attempt at selling it. Not sure I'd start low though. I mean let's say you sell it for $50. OK that's great, but will it feel worth it in the end? You used to have something historical and valuable and now you have $50. You might not get $500 but do you want less than say $200, or whatever? I'd rather get nothing for getting it placed into a museum display than chump change on ebay.

I wouldn't discount that handle either. It may be just as old as the head but from a time when you went to buy an axe and all you got was a head. You made the handle ... although I'd say that was likely a premium head. Makers put fancy marks on the lines of tools that got the most effort and commanded the best price (plus the patented bevels). Maybe they came with handles, maybe somewhere along the line a guy got a nice axe by luck and had to make his own handle. Maybe I spend too much time dreaming up stories about axes. :p

Condition might affect the value, but I would think it would still be valuable for a collector. I think this axe falls into a different category where history is more important than condition (to a certain degree) - it belongs in a museum but what's the demand? I don't really know. I don't personally get the deal with CRK but I do understand the idea of having something valuable in hand that you don't want as much as something else that costs $$$ - I'd make an attempt at selling it. Not sure I'd start low though. I mean let's say you sell it for $50. OK that's great, but will it feel worth it in the end? You used to have something historical and valuable and now you have $50. You might not get $500 but do you want less than say $200, or whatever? I'd rather get nothing for getting it placed into a museum display than chump change on ebay.

I wouldn't discount that handle either. It may be just as old as the head but from a time when you went to buy an axe and all you got was a head. You made the handle ... although I'd say that was likely a premium head. Makers put fancy marks on the lines of tools that got the most effort and commanded the best price (plus the patented bevels). Maybe they came with handles, maybe somewhere along the line a guy got a nice axe by luck and had to make his own handle. Maybe I spend too much time dreaming up stories about axes. :p

I read what you had to say, and it really made me think.

A few days ago I listed it, just testing the waters at 399. I KNOW it won't sell, but in the first 24 hours, I got 4 people watching it. Figure, if it sells, great, if not, it'll be something to pass down. Might not have any sentimental value to me personally, but someone's great grandfather may have logged with it, or really, who knows the story.

I maybe shouldn't jump to monetary value over historic value.

Thanks for helping me realize that.

As far as axes go, is this worth stripping the rust off, and rehandling? Or has she seen her day?

As far as axes go, is this worth stripping the rust off, and rehandling? Or has she seen her day?

Worth rehandling as a wall mount or collector. But the bit is worn down beyond being an effective user. It will never again perform as an axe should. Its earned its retirement.

It would have a lot more value if it was still usable.

I read what you had to say, and it really made me think.

A few days ago I listed it, just testing the waters at 399. I KNOW it won't sell, but in the first 24 hours, I got 4 people watching it. Figure, if it sells, great, if not, it'll be something to pass down. Might not have any sentimental value to me personally, but someone's great grandfather may have logged with it, or really, who knows the story.

I maybe shouldn't jump to monetary value over historic value.

Thanks for helping me realize that.

It's a tough call. On the one hand, there are lots of things in this world worth preserving for their history but can we save it all? I dunno. Hopefully there is someone or some organization that is ready and willing to preserve that head. It is beyond usefulness but I also wouldn't rehang it. I guess I don't see the purpose, but I am sort of a handle junky as much as an axe junky. To me their value is equal. For sure, I wouldn't touch the head in any way. By the same token, I just watched like 4 or 5 "older" Jerseys (including a couple Plumbs) go on ebay for $30 or less, all of them ready for new handles and in close enough to unused condition to be fully serviceable. A really nice, vintage head is out there and well worth your efforts. It'll make for a prized possession and you may land enough coin from the Kelly to get your knife. Win-win.

Back