CS Vanquero Grande.....

joebe

Banned
any comments or reviews on this one? thinking about getting one for a lightweight defense folder that i can carry in the pocket, i wanted the longest blade i could get and still fit in the front pocket of a pair of jeans. it looks like one big, wicked, mother- 3" of manila rope according to the "PROOF" video.

I have used it. The serrations are fine and the edge is decently acute and thus it cuts very well, the recurve also helps out there. I found the handle to be comfortable and secure. However there are problems with sharpening the serrations and I found the lock to be really weak. I just torqued on it with my wrist and the pins tore through the handle material easily and the lock failed under a low torque.

-Cliff

Cliff Stamp: Since CS has so my hype behind their product, I am curious to know Cold Steel's response after you sent back the knife. I am assuming you sent it back, as if the pins tore through the handle with just a wrist twist, that is truly a defective knife.

I am not crazy about CS, but I have never heard of such poor quality in one before.

Forget about the VG and get yourself a REKAT Sifu. It has a 5.4 inch "re-curve" blade, NO serrations, and a GREAT-feeling G-10 handle with finger-grooves that "lock" the knife into place.:).

jayharley, it's not the knife that is weak; it's that Cliff Stamp is one mean mudda (ahem, that's "Mr. Mudda"). Knives cry when they see him coming. I don't doubt that some knife manufacturers have wording in their warranties that say to the effect that: "allowing Cliff Stamp to use your knife is considered abuse and voids the warranty." ;) (Sorry, Cliff, I just couldn't resist having some fun).

GlockMeister,

I've been thinking of a Sifu, but have had some minor reservations after reading about QC problems in the REKAT forum. What's your take on that?

Thanks for the advice.

"DWK",

I have had 4 REKAT Sifu (I'm only down to 2 of them right now), and I have had NO problems with ANY of them. ALL 4 have had a very tight and reliable lock-up, with NO lock failures (I still have all 8 fingers!.:D.).

I would not hesitate to buy another one.:).

Thanks for the personal experience. Do you have any opinion on whether the D2 models are worth chasing after? Also, how do you feel about the limited edition with only one finger groove?

Thanks again.

I have a Vaquero Grande and I'm quite fond of it; it's comfortable, handles well, and locks very solidly. It makes a nice companion piece to my CS Desperado.

Vaquero Grande only comes serrated so they are a bitch to sharpen. I would not buy it. Sifu is way better. Just make sure to handle it before buying it to avoid QC issues.

even w/QC probs like the SIFU much better than the VG - the VG just aint in the same league imho - i mean zytel V G10, D2 steel (in mine anyway) just a lot more knife imho

get one and if ya have lock probs send it in for hand fitting, and ya got the baddest a$$ big folder around thats a production model - and the VG is over 5.5", which makes it illegal in this neck of the woods

just look at the 2 knives, compare them, and ya will get the SIFU i promise ya

sifu

I never sent the VG back to Cold Steel, it wasn't worth the postage to do so. I have sent blades back to them in the past, that they had sent me to review. The blades were heavily damaged when returned. No responce was produced.

-Cliff

I have one of the Vaquero (non-Grande ones), and I like it. I think it's good folder for when you're pulling out all the stops. If they have clips on them now (I think they do), then they're even more versatile.

Joe S.

Last edited:
i'm sure the sifu is a great folder, the thing is i am looking for a moderately priced folder and i like the lightwieght zytel, this is assuming that you are carrying the Ontario Bagwell when actually going in harm's way. you would have to imagine that any cop that saw you whip out a crazy-big knife like the Vanquero would immediately cuff you, the legal liability of carrying a BIG knife are a given.

this would be the one you carry when theres no way to carry the bowie.

Vaquero Grande only comes fully serrated so how do you sharpen it??? Don't waste your time on the idiotic serrations. Get an extra large plain edged Voyager instead.

lscoldsteel.jpg

they should offer the VG with a plain blade, serrations are supposed to be better for slashing, there should be more tissue damage, i was a hard core Cold Steel fan- but have found i don't care for most of there designs, i really don't like rubber handles. i like the voyagers but i was going for the largest one i could, just got done reading Bagwell's book and he thinks reach is everything, the more blade the better.

the serrations will probably be a time-consuming bitch to resharpen.

Old style with the kydex sheath. I also had the 5" bladed one. I liked them both very much. I only traded them because they are illegal to carry here. (4" max). I have considered picking up the 4" version...maybe I will. Overall I say go for it.:)

Back