CT knife law - If 4" or over, it may as well be 14"?

I've tried to search the forums and interwebs but I didn't find much so I apologize if this is a retread topic.

In CT the law says you can carry a fixed blade knife with a cutting edge under 4" (4" is a no-no), vague exceptions for hunting/fishing/trapping aside. And no, they don't define how the cutting edge is to be measured but that's a separate issue.

So my question is really just to gauge the opinions of folks in the know such as LEOs or people who have actually seen this play out.

The question, If you are going to buy a knife that is 4" that you intend to carry in CT do most police/game wardens/courts view it as if you're over 3.99" than your over and there is no distinction between a 4" and 14" blade?

My common sense tells me that an officer that has no other reason to bust your stones would possibly overlook a knife with a cutting edge of 4.5" or under but something over 5" they might be more likely to nab you on and something really big and scary looking will be that much worse.

So, what do the experts think? If I need to exceed the legal limit for my needs should I still try to stay close to 4" or it really doesn't matter once you go over?

Thanks!

P.S. I am not asking for legal advice, just opinions. I will have to make my own decision, I understand that. I will have a hunting and fishing license too but the exception are very vague for that.

Last edited:
I've tried to search the forums and interwebs but I didn't find much so I apologize if this is a retread topic.

In CT the law says you can carry a fixed blade knife with a cutting edge under 4" (4" is a no-no), vague exceptions for hunting/fishing/trapping aside. And no, they don't define how the cutting edge is to be measured but that's a separate issue.

So my question is really just to gauge the opinions of folks in the know such as LEOs or people who have actually seen this play out.

The question, If you are going to buy a knife that is 4" that you intend to carry in CT do most police/game wardens/courts view it as if you're over 3.99" than your over and there is no distinction between a 4" and 14" blade?

My common sense tells me that an officer that has no other reason to bust your stones would possibly overlook a knife with a cutting edge of 4.5" or under but something over 5" they might be more likely to nab you on and something really big and scary looking will be that much worse.

So, what do the experts think? If I need to exceed the legal limit for my needs should I still try to stay close to 4" or it really doesn't matter once you go over?

Thanks!

P.S. I am not asking for legal advice, just opinions. I will have to make my own decision, I understand that. I will have a hunting and fishing license too but the exception are very vague for that.
Why not just purchase a good, lightweight, inexpensive 4" folder? Drop it into your pocket and no one will be the wiser. Fixed blades are harder to conceal. Keep your moth shut and maintain a low profile. Don't give the cops any reason to "bust your stones". FWIW, I have concealed-carried a 4" folder since the summer of 1978. Never had any problems.

This matter is influenced a lot more by the situation you are in than the measurements. I've found police officers generally are not very interested in pulling out tape measures over knives. It's just not how policing works. They are more interested in if you did in fact headbutt your girlfriend in the face, why you're out at 2 am wearing all black with gloves in July, why are you wandering the streets drunk off your gourd and hitting your head against a wall, why you're out late at night with little chunks of soap in tiny baggies in a known drug neighborhood etc. And yes these are all real cases involving a knife arrest. I have yet to see a knife arrest of a person minding their own business ever make it to court except in NYC.

Once the police dislike your behavior enough to be searching you, the knife becomes merely an excuse, especially if they can't quite figure out if you've broken any other laws yet.

For edc I will definitely have a folder under 4". I was thinking about carrying and transporting a larger knife for camping. Sorry, I didn't specify that before.

My gut tells me that glistam is right, as long as I'm not dong anything stupid and I'm not carrying a Samurai sword around the woods a 5" camping blade is probably not going to be an issue.

I hope this “law” applies only to walking around in cities or suburbs. If you are camping, hunting or fishing I think you are ok with as long as you feel the need. Once you get into town, you can pack away your bowie and should be fine.

Back