CTS-XHP corrosion resistance?

ibute21

Gold Member
Hey all, I have a concern regarding the corrosion resistance of Cts-xhp. I picked up a Talwar 5" on a whim and carry it off and on outside of work. However, I noted some surface rust occurring on it from sweat on the presentation side. I've never had this issue with other stainless steel (154cm, S30v, elmax, etc). Has anyone else has this experience? I just wasn't expecting it. Since then I've wiped it down with tuf glide and it really hasn't been an issue. Thanks.

I've had zero issues with my stuff in XHP, whether Cold Steel or otherwise. My Ultimate hunter has been fantastic, and my main chef knife is in XHP with no issues.

I carry in the waistband my spyderco chaparral while hiking and it gets soaked in sweat no rust yet on the Cts xhp blade. I think some peoples perspiration is more corrosive than others and that might be the case for you.

I carry in the waistband my spyderco chaparral while hiking and it gets soaked in sweat no rust yet on the Cts xhp blade. I think some peoples perspiration is more corrosive than others and that might be the case for you.

I figured this was the case. Just figured I'd ask and see. Thanks for the responses guys :thumbup:

I've noticed a few specs on the same side of my XHP Lawman, right along where the blade sticks out above the handle in the closed position. I've also had the same issue on some of my CS blades in AUS-8. It's never amounted to more than that (small spots), though, so I don't sweat it (pun intended :D).

I've worked in precision sheet metal and machining for many years. For some unknown reason some people have more corrosive sweat than others. I've literally seen rusty fingerprints on press brake tooling. Sweat has salt, which is obviously corrosive, but some is more corrosive than others. Strange but true.

Here is a pic of my testing: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHz0YyUBaX9/
More than 3 hours in the sea and only got some small spots what I could wipe off easily. I was very satisfied. Beside this test, I have never seen any sign of rust on my holdout. Give it a good clean and oil up (I use cocounut oil), that hopefully will help

Tapatalkkal küldve az én Nexus 7 eszközömről

I must have very corrosive sweat, because my Hold Out II has developed a slight patina after being in the pocket half the days of this past month, subject to the hot Mediterranean summer and its effects on me! :D

CAM02001_zpsojn4rjom.jpg

Nothing to worry about, though, just curious to see that DLC coating does not provide additional corrosion resistance.

CAM02786_zpsbic2yney.jpg

Peacent, I've found Cold Steel's DLC coating absorbs skin oils, and is hard to wipe off. I would try an automotive wax/cleaner. It should restore your Holdout to new.

I must not have that issue. I also own the XL Talwar (among other CS knives) and have never had much in the way of corrosion issues. The only exceptions to this have been the knives that I carry aboard while kayaking, and those are hardly a surprise. I also live next to a harbor, so a very salty environment.

I do wipe my knives down after each use, but really don't do much in the way of maintenance.

Hey all, I have a concern regarding the corrosion resistance of Cts-xhp. I picked up a Talwar 5" on a whim and carry it off and on outside of work. However, I noted some surface rust occurring on it from sweat on the presentation side. I've never had this issue with other stainless steel (154cm, S30v, elmax, etc). Has anyone else has this experience? I just wasn't expecting it. Since then I've wiped it down with tuf glide and it really hasn't been an issue. Thanks.

I took my XHP American Lawman to tfe beach in San Diego a few weeks ago. It got plenty of salt water (and sand). While it is DLC'd no discoloration on the edge. Had to give it a thorough rinsing for the sand though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread points out again that dlc doesn t add corrosion resistance. Of what benefit is it?

Those of you with the toxic sweat need to get your ph levels in check! Calcium is great for this! Most cancers thrive in acidic people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back