CTS-XHP/Duratech 20CV?

This has actually been killing me for quite a while, but just yesterday I squandered $660 for a brand new Gen III XM-18 in CTS-XHP. And the very next day I see another XM-18 lightly used in 20CV for $575, which nobody seemed to want. Given the $85 difference, I honestly want to believe that I got the "better" knife. But my past experience with CTS-XHP in a Manix 2 only left me with the impression that it was an average steel. I'd estimate edge holding to be slightly below S30V.

Whereas Duratech 20CV seems to have better edge holding than S30V judging from my experience with M390, an almost identical steel.

Still, perhaps I'm using the wrong tool, or steel in this case, for the job. I assume that the XM-18 favors toughness above wear resistance, and that CTS-XHP offers that toughness. Though D2 never really left me with the impression of being a tough steel.

Is there any definitive reason why the newer XM-18's use CTS-XHP over Duratech 20CV:confused:?

I have both steels in Hinderers.
Both are equal to each other in my book.I wouldn't worry about it.They're great high quality blade steels.

Besides CTS-XHP was a limited run in XM-18.Now it's back to 20CV.
I heard it will return sometime again.
XM-24 is always CTS-XHP.

Pieter is right. No more CTS steel XM-18's. At the moment its a very sought after blade. So I'd hold on to that one for a while.

You both have it wrong actually. We are currently shipping 3.5" XM-18's with CTS-XHP blades.

You both have it wrong actually. We are currently shipping 3.5" XM-18's with CTS-XHP blades.
But you are also currently shipping XM-18's with 20CV as well yes?

So would I be right to assume that this is to give the customers more options based on their individual needs?

No shit. Nice! Last I spoke to Rick he said you weren't doing those for a while. I stand corrected.

Hmmmm. I might have to snag one up. :D

I think the 3.5"s are CTS-XHP and the 3" versions are 20CV.
Both are great.

I have had both and I can't tell the difference. Rick is a master craftsman. I'd trust his choices of blade steel. :)

Last edited:
But you are also currently shipping XM-18's with 20CV as well yes?

So would I be right to assume that this is to give the customers more options based on their individual needs?

The current batch of 3.5" XM-18's we are shipping are all CTS-XHP. We will use 20CV again in future batches, as well as S35VN.

One thing that bothers me though:
There supposedly isn't any sort of identifying mark to tell what the steel in the blade is. So a seller could allegedly claim that the steel is CTS-XHP when it really could just be either one.

So would there be any way of identifying the steel other than sending it back to Rick?

Most of the CTS-XHP blades are marked. There were a few early ones that went out without markings.

One thing that bothers me though:
There supposedly isn't any sort of identifying mark to tell what the steel in the blade is. So a seller could allegedly claim that the steel is CTS-XHP when it really could just be either one.

So would there be any way of identifying the steel other than sending it back to Rick?

CTS blades are marked. 20CV blades are not. Like someone mentioned a few of the earlier CTS blades went out unmarked but that was prob just a handful.
I'm sure Rob will jump in here and correct us if we're wrong.

About a seller alledging the blade is CTS when it's actually 20CV. It's possible. Let's just hope those of us who deal with Ricks knives have enough integrity not to do something like that.

Me too. Had it on a Spyderco Mule, really a nice steel to sharpen.

For the record I have seen Duratec 20CV and CTS-XHP on Rick's knives. Am I worng here, but the 20CV had a nicer luster than the CTS-XHP, which just by eyeballing it didn't appear as good a steel.

I have no expertise or knowledge rearding these two only the eye appeal of the 20CV looked nicer - could have been the batch or the stonewashing method (time treated, media used etc. that made this different look).

I know I'm contradicting my earlier post, but I recall stropping an XM-18 for my kid - Duratec 20CV blade and it took a really scary edge - like a razor! :eek:
I can't quite agree on the luster issue. I've put my Manix 2 in CTS-XHP through my buffing wheels and got quite a lustrous mirror finish. The edge was done on the Edge Pro and also had quite a shine.

Though I wonder if it's possible to look at the mirror polished edge and compare it with M390 and CTS-XHP to check for similarities, particularly in carbide volume.

CTS blades are marked. 20CV blades are not. Like someone mentioned a few of the earlier CTS blades went out unmarked but that was prob just a handful.
I'm sure Rob will jump in here and correct us if we're wrong.

About a seller alledging the blade is CTS when it's actually 20CV. It's possible. Let's just hope those of us who deal with Ricks knives have enough integrity not to do something like that.
Well, the seller's photos of the knife didn't show any markings on either side. Though the seller mentioned having obtained the knife at the New York Custom Knife Show, I'm not sure if it necessarily means that the knife itself was made in 2010.

Back