CUDA MAXX 5.5 Bowie vs. Stiletto which do you prefer?

Howdy,

I'm considering buying a Camillus CUDA MAXX 5.5 sometime in the near future, but I am unsure as to which I'd prefer, the Bowie or the Stiletto version.
I am well aware of the price difference, but my questions are... for those who've tried them, which do you prefer? Which one is sharper? Is the swedge of the Stiletto version too thin?

Inquiring minds... they wanna know! :D

I prefer and own a Bowie style. I think it is more usefull for day to day cutting.

I agree with TBG. I use my CUDA Maxx bowie as a very effective kitchen knife. It cuts extremely well, and it's big enough for carving, too. It cleans up quickly and thoroughly and easily.

I also own a custom Darrel Ralph 5.5" Madd Maxx dagger, in D2 like the production versions. Great knife: my pride and joy! :D but I don't see it as a match for the bowie as a cutting tool. Now if I were attacked by a roast turkey ... ! :p

The bowie is a full flat grind; the dagger/stiletto is essentially a saber grind, much thicker angle.

Originally posted by Junkyard
Have you guys had any problems carrying it?

You mean because of the size? I haven't owned one yet so I can't answer that question, but I doubt it'll be a problem, given that I currently carry a Dalton Companion, butterfly knife and brass knuckles* with me every day.

*In the event that these are illegal, I retract my statment. :D

Originally posted by Junkyard
Have you guys had any problems carrying it?

Mine rides low in the pocket and is lighter than well over half of my other EDCs

My Sebbie weighs in at 4.8 oz and my Cuda Maxx weighs in at 6.5 But you have to remember that my Sebbie has allot of holes in it :D

MAYONIZED???
If so, I'd love to know what you think of the work. I was thinking about it in January, but something came up. I have been pre-occupied with some family issues and haven't been around since then. But I'm back now. And now I sure have an urge to play with sharp things.

Jason

MAYONIZED???

Yeap, Tom does outstanding work and anyone that has a plain Sebbie and doesn't send it to him is REALLY REALLY missing out. Appearance was my only reason for sending it. I didn't even take into account the CRAZY sharp edge he put on it, the dual thumb stud and he somehow made it smoother than it already was. I bought a very cheap, extremely well used Lrg. just to send him and he blasted the handles and when it came back, it was BETTER than brand new

I'll put my vote in for the Bowie. The Stiletto is a great looker, but note very useful after that unless you want to stab something.

And I carry mine all of the time with out a problem. It's very thin at about 12-13mm vs. about 10mm for my small Seb (sorry I don't have a large Seb, but I think they are the same). As for the length, I don't own a pair of jeans that it won't fit nicely in. The only pants that I have a slight problem with have pocket openings cut at an angle rather than horizontal that is typically found on jeans. If you can sit in a couch and not lose your change, the Maxx will be just fine in those pants. Sorry I don't have anything that will weigh in ounce's (not in high school any more;) cough,cough TBG) but there really isn't a big difference.

I would bet that the only complaint that you will have with it when you first get it is that it is a pain (literally in the thumb) to get it closed. At first I had to use two hands until I loosened it up, or maybe built up my thumb muscle.

And if no one else has mentioned it, flicking it open is addictively fun, if for no other reason than to hear the clunk. The lock has the proverbial "bank vault" sound.

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth on a Mayonized Sebbie. I sent him a brand new large figuring that other than the holes and the dual thumbstud that there wasn't much that could be done to a Sebenza. Boy was I wrong...I've never had a sharper knife (including my TnT) and I'm not sure what all he does to the pivot, but the Mayofication makes it the absolute smoothest Sebenza I've ever handled. It is well worth the money and the wait to have Tom work on your Sebenza.

I have the Bowie and got it off E-Bay for $107.00 total.Now I have to get the stilleto.:D

The Bowie. Stilletoes & dagger type blades are best
left for the battlefield :eek:

AET :D

You will absolutely love the bowie! I got mine yesterday and other than sleep and work this morning, I have been fondling/flicking/ogling non-stop! (the knife, that is.:D ) I can't vouch for the legality of this knife in Illinois though... most everything I carry is above 3" anyway. I carry a stockman for sheeple situations anyway.
Junkyard, you asked about ease of carry... it's amazing how easy this big of a knife carries. I've been carrying mine IWB in front at the right side, and I can sit comfortably with it there! Fits great in pockets too.
This knife inspires great confidence as a daily carry "just in case" blade, as well as an excellent large blade for those cutting chores that require that. I am very happy that I bought it.
Mongo

Thanks for the info,

for whatever it's worth Mongo, I am currently in training to become a police officer, and I have examined Illinois law concerning dangerous weapons, and mine and others' interpretations (including local knife dealers) is that greater than 3" blades are perfectly legal provided they are not intended to be used as weapons. This is why you should never tell a police officer you're carrying a knife for self defense, by the way.
As for me, my interests are almost 100% utility oriented, I just happen to like big blades because love means never having to cut something twice ;)

*Please note that since Chicago is it's own little liberal world, nothing above applies to Chicago, where carrying a nailclipper is probably grounds to have you imprisoned for conspiracy against the government.*

Also Mongo, I, too, carry a small Buck Stockman for those situations where whipping out the 4"er is more trouble than it's worth.

Back