Cult of the peanut , members

I picked this Schrade-Walden up on an whim a couple of weeks ago pretty cheap. Although decently described, it was in worse condition than I thought when I received it. It had a "kink" in the main blade and the pen blade had zero snap. After flushing it with WD-40 and mineral oil the pen blade finally had a little snap. The main blade did have excellent snap. Brought out a file and the cubic boron Sharpmaker triangle progressing all the way to the ultra-fine rods getting the main (and pen) blade in shape. Then some Flitz and another flush with WD-40/oil and here we are. I think I am going to start carrying this as a secondary knife.

Looking great! I just got this Keen Kutter, was a mess too, took a long cleaning. It appears to be the same knife, just with a Keen Kutter shield and tang stamp. The handle material and jigging pattern looks the same.

Evek3TOr.jpg

tIpXKxGr.jpg

Looking great! I just got this Keen Kutter, was a mess too, took a long cleaning. It appears to be the same knife, just with a Keen Kutter shield and tang stamp. The handle material and jigging pattern looks the same.

Evek3TOr.jpg

tIpXKxGr.jpg

Very nice! Nothing better than a reclamation

I like the barehead on the prime stag, but I'm not sure the threaded bolster works. It's a little too busy for such a small bolster.

Evek3TOr.jpg

tIpXKxGr.jpg

It always great to find one that needs some TLC!

This thread and a couple others got me to thinking about trying out the little...yet apparently INCREDIBLY versatile Peanut. I put a plan (mentioned on here a couple times) to hunt one down with a 2017 date stamp and start carrying it the day my first born is born (Due in December). Eventually, when he get to be old enough, I will give it to him to carry. By then, if I dont lose it or break it before hand, it will have plenty of stories to tell and the wear and patina to show. Anyways, it came in the other evening and I got a shot of it along with its bigger buddy and eventual pocket companion.

IMG_20171030_175341987.jpg \

Its such a little guy but I look forward to seeing what all it can handle over the next years to come!

Matt

Congrats on your upcoming bundle of joy, Matt! I've documented here before of the Case Peanut I bought the day before my daughter was born in 2016, and (with very rare occasions excluded) I've carried it everyday since. Work, weekends, even at home in the PJs, her Bermuda Green Peanut is with me. It being SS instead of CV obviously means she won't see the years via patina, but I'm sure it will still show it's age by the time she receives it.

It'll be great seeing your Peanut age!

This thread and a couple others got me to thinking about trying out the little...yet apparently INCREDIBLY versatile Peanut. I put a plan (mentioned on here a couple times) to hunt one down with a 2017 date stamp and start carrying it the day my first born is born (Due in December). Eventually, when he get to be old enough, I will give it to him to carry. By then, if I dont lose it or break it before hand, it will have plenty of stories to tell and the wear and patina to show. Anyways, it came in the other evening and I got a shot of it along with its bigger buddy and eventual pocket companion.

View attachment 790504 \

Its such a little guy but I look forward to seeing what all it can handle over the next years to come!

Matt

Congratulations on both counts for the additions to your life. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how much the little legume can do as far as cutting jobs. It punches, or. in this Case (bad pun, I know) cuts way above it's weight class.:thumbsup:

I seem to be having a problem with this new peanut.
I have but a small selection of knives I carry in rotation, but since I received this little guy its taken more than its fair share of pocket-time. It's been 6 days now and I can't seem to switch it out. Are they always stubborn and territorial?

I seem to be having a problem with this new peanut.
I have but a small selection of knives I carry in rotation, but since I received this little guy its taken more than its fair share of pocket-time. It's been 6 days now and I can't seem to switch it out. Are they always stubborn and territorial?

On the contrary, mine seem to share pocket space quite well with other knives. I suppose carrying two or three knives in one pocket defeats the minimalist purpose behind a peanut, but it is all just for fun anyway, right?

On the contrary, mine seem to share pocket space quite well with other knives. I suppose carrying two or three knives in one pocket defeats the minimalist purpose behind a peanut, but it is all just for fun anyway, right?
Well you certainly won't be underknifed!
Ive always been a one knife+multitool kind of guy. I normally rotate my one knife choice daily or every few days, but this one is lingering a bit longer than usual.
Its still early to tell, but I think I may have found "the one".
Now I honestly never considered that there could be that one knife that suits me perfectly and never even cared to look for it, being a knife-nut and all. Somehow though this one just feels right.

So... a couple of weeks ago I decided to take the one week Peanut challenge. I went out and got myself the best yeller nut I could find, and set off on my experiment. Now, I'm not a hard user of knives... about the only cutting I do is on my lunch break at work, generally my sandwich and some fruit. A few months ago I had picked up a mini trapper that I really like almost every thing about, and it had become my standard lunch knife, as well as my trusty worry stone during my couple hours driving each day. I was a little skeptical that I would like the 'nut as much, not that it wouldn't meet my cutting needs, but more that its size wouldn't work so well for fidget control. But I vowed to carry only the Peanut for the entire week and not so much as look at my (few) other knives.

Here's the little fella on it's way in to work on Monday morning... shiny and new, and ready to go!

Days 1 and 2 I really missed my mini trapper, the weight difference is fairy significant, and it just didn't feel as substantial in the hand. It did excel in all my cutting needs, however, and by the end of the second day had the slightest bit of color starting on the main blade. Day 3 I started to look forward to using the little fella and was getting used to it as my fidget spinner, and by the end of the week I had really grown to appreciate this little knife for its big presence in a very small package. It really does fit pretty nicely in the hand when cutting, and I began to re-appreciate watching a nice patina start to develop (despite the sporadic metallic taste to my apples).

Here's the little guy with his bigger brothers at the end of the week. It already got the start of a good color on the blades. I now understand why this little knife is so popular. I have now had the 'nut for about two and half weeks, and it has not left my pocket so far. In all fairness I do supplement it still with my mini trapper, but mainly because I really like the bone handles on that big guy, and am looking forward to breaking them in as time goes on. The two switch duties as my fidget spinner during drive time, but the 'nut has taken over all cutting chores at this point.

With all that said, I humbly seek permission to join this much celebrated Cult of the Peanut! I'm a true believer in the 'nut!

Back