Cult of the peanut , members

I'd never realized just how swoopy the peanut profile really is until I saw that one. Really elegant! :)
Thanks :) A lack of bolsters really highlights the shape of a pattern :thumbsup:

That is one awesome looking Nut you there, that must be a cherished knife.
Thanks :) It is now! I think I must have went through 4-5 Peanuts trying to get one modified the way I wanted...so this one was a costly learning project. I didn't get the lanyard hole I was trying for but still pleased.

For all you ag peanut lovers I just listed a stag one on the exchange. There great little knives I just miss the half stops

I don’t know if I would use the trinut much but that’s a nice idea.
I doubt I'll use it much, if at all, but the 3 blades don't come along that often. Think I'll keep an eye for a reasonably priced one of these :eek::rolleyes::p
1488251066_51_116_1.jpg

Time to bump this thread! Last summer, I lost my favorite chestnut bone cv peanut - a sad day! Been looking for a replacement for some time, since new ones don't seem to be available. I just received this in the mail - an unsharpened (factory edge) like new 1965 - 1969 bone peanut. It's in fabulous shape! The action is great - smooth and snappy just like I like 'em. There's only one problem - is it too nice to use? Over 50 years old and still like new! Should it remain a safe queen or should I sharpen it up and drop it in my pocket?! I'm thinking that it's too nice NOT to carry and they look even better with patina. Am I crazy? And, by the way, I probably paid less for it than most new ones go for!IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2010.JPG Here it is with my much carried yeller cv which is getting some "pepper spot" patina. IMG_2007.JPG

I love the older peanuts stiffer pull and the old carbon steel just seems to get wicked sharp. If it was mine I'd carry it

You now move to the second level, Grasshopper.:D

It goes like that, the questioning, the hesitation if it's enough knife, then the breakthrough and enlightenment. It took me a while to learn what my father had found out 50 years before.

The peanut is a mostly knife. Good for mostly what you have to cut. Once in a while, like out in the woods, it's not enough, so that's why they make sheath knives. Being a normal suburbanite, my peanut is good for shopping malls, backyard gardening, home projects, opening packages, mail, whatever. Out in the boonies or canoe camping, I have a sheath knife on my belt with a real 4 inch blade. If that's not enough, I have my 12 in Ontario machete or my dad's old homemade 10 inch bushwhacker as he called it, in my pack or boat bag. Right tool for the job. I think the way my old man saw it was, if a small pocket knife was not enough, then a medium size pocketknife was not much better. So he'd grab another tool. I don't think the old man worried about senerios like some people worry about today. He was the most practical man I ever knew. But then he wasn't a knife knut like us. He was just a regular person who knew he needed a cutting tool to make life a little easier, and this was what he carried because it had been a gift from his mother when he went off to school in a suit. He got used to it, and it became a sentimental item. Then it became part of him as he was a one knife man. I think I've finally figured out what he knew. Took me a lot longer though.

In the past year now, my amber bone damascus peanut has not been out of my pocket. It's become my sole single edc. Once in a while if I know the day's got something coming up, I'll augment it with another knife like an Opinel, or my sheath knife. But 99% of the time now, I'm only carrying my amber bone 'nut. So far, it's worked on every cutting job.

Welcome to the cult.

Carl.
Carl, your stories have also made me drink the kool-aid and I now have 2 peanuts

Back