CuMai Skinner

SolarStorm50

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Commission to use the clients antler in a custom designed skinner. 3" cumai with with copper bolster and antler supplied by the customer. I put an article on my articles page on how I create my CuMai

rs=w:740,cg:true,m

Stumpy.
Copper's cool.
Handle is funky, but might be super comfortable. Just seems like it ought to be rotated 180 degrees.

struggled with this one because he wanted that antler. I tried flipping it and it felt really awkward, this fits the fingers better. it actually doesnt feel that bad. Sometimes we get orders that we need to stretch our imagination...

I've been forging copper into my steel on the surface. I see copper in ghe steel, looks like one of the layers. Have not been following what others are up to, so did you have copper in one of your fold layers? I've considered it as possible, but only as a pattern weld in a sealed box. (or the copper spatters out) So Hmmm. Or, is it electro plated on? Curious about that copper. The rest is good, and understandable. Nice job.

I wrote an article on my website on
I've been forging copper into my steel on the surface. I see copper in ghe steel, looks like one of the layers. Have not been following what others are up to, so did you have copper in one of your fold layers? I've considered it as possible, but only as a pattern weld in a sealed box. (or the copper spatters out) So Hmmm. Or, is it electro plated on? Curious about that copper. The rest is good, and understandable. Nice job.
I wrote an article on my website at https://www.solarstorm.ca/articles on how I make my CuMai knives.

A couple other CuMai knives
Matching Father and Son Tantos
:

And a knife I call the copper dragon

rs=w:984,h:738

Saw video. I saw end product and 'guessed' how it was possible. (smile) Hmmm. I shall experiment. I use a torch not a kiln and can eyeball temperature pretty good. I should be able to pass weld edges.... I also use other peoples Damascus and repurpose it... and I normalize but then torch heat treat only the edge. I use the torch to heat the steel, melt copper onto the steel and at a critical time slam the copper and steel with hammer. As it is hit and cools, chemically bonds. All by eye. Yes now and then molten copper spatters all over. I've lit myself on fire before. Minor detail. I never let it cool down below critical and move right from this step to torch heat treat, so steel is not overly stressed on temp changes, and does not need normalizing. Or may.... but for some reason the finished knife passes all my tests of hardness toughness flexibility. It's taken 15 years to work it out. Very nice to see someone else with copper steel ideas, arriving by a different route. Yes I make video I post on You tube. Pay it forward, I agree. My ways very different for yours. My knives not much like yours and this is good! Nope do not do custom special order work! Ha! No one will. per my boss. I do not my way, my designs no fine limits no fixed prices. You like it when done, great, buy it. You not like? "Next!" It all sells 'eventually.' Nope never been to a knife show. I'm in Alaska village population 300. Anyhow, nice work you do, thanks for showing us.
Pic one idea just finished today. Use scrap Damascus use wx, lost wax cast copper. Other mothod, slam molten steel and copper together with the hammer so it bonds IMGP2136.JPG
IMGP2136.JPGIMGP2151.JPG

Back