Current State of Maryland blade length limits on folders?

MTHall720

Gold Member
My understanding is that there is no set absolute blade length limitations on folders for State Law but every County and Municipality may set their own limits. I usually carry a 4 inch blade but lately I have had people (not LEOs) say I am wrong.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

But lately I have had people (not LEOs) say I am wrong.
I'd give them the usual challenge: "Show me the law. I don't care where you heard it or who you heard it from, show the statute text or case law, or shut up."

I am happy to provide details, clarifications or citations for anything in the article!

I'd give them the usual challenge: "Show me the law. I don't care where you heard it or who you heard it from, show the statute text or case law, or shut up."

I am happy to provide details, clarifications or citations for anything in the article!
Thanks very much for the input. I appreciate it.

I live in Pennsylvania and I have had people in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County tell me all sorts of laws about knives that is more legend that fact.
That being said.......
police and how they choose to think, say especially in court can sink you.

I agree that is a serious consideration. That is why I don't carry certain designs even if there is no official prohibition.

Your preaching to the choir on that. I also consider style & design when buying to carry.
Although I'm 63 yrs and police haven't had an issue with what knife I carry.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I'm 65 but still give careful consideration.

That being said.......
police and how they choose to think, say especially in court can sink you.
I've heard this concern before, but I do not think it's applicable to Maryland. As my article states, Maryland already has case law on the books that a police officer with incorrect beliefs about Maryland's knife laws, who makes an arrest based on that error, is subject to federal prosecution for false arrest (Sorrell v McGuigan). McGuigan lost a lot of money and (according to a friend of his I spoke with) his department stuck him on desk/filing clerk duty for the rest of his career.

Back