"Custom" Becker BK-7 preliminary pic

Hey all,

I've been working on a semi-custom BK-7 on and off the last couple of weeks. I made some progress over the weekend and I wanted to put up a pic to show off my work so far. When I'm done, I'll post the whole series of pics from beginning to end, but here's a brief synopsis of what's been done so far:

1) Reground the blade to make it thinner and add a bit of a recurve(I didn't do this part)
2) Stripped the coating
3) Built rock maple scales
4) Fitted the scales

There are a lot of fine-work steps that need to be done now, including better fitting of the attachment hardware, fine sanding and finishing of the scales, and finishing of the blade. The scales will probably get darker once finished, and I hope to enhance the grain pattern.

I've made some changes to the scales from the original, including thinning them down and eliminating the middle screw, which I thought was uncomfortable in the hand. Overall, the 3-D profile is pretty much the same, although it's a little hard to tell from the picture (I'm a woodworker, not a photographer). Anyway, here's a link to the pic, comments and constructive criticism welcome:

BK-7_Picture

very well done i think when you stain and seal the handle it will look very sharp do you think you would be interested in doing this to a bk9 as i have one that i would love to have those handles on

Lee Brooks
Knifemaker
BROOKSKNIVES.canada

brooksknives@hotmail.com

Thanks! My next project is actually going to be a BK-9 with the same scales but probably without the coating stripped. I have one NIB already and when I'm done I'm going to be looking to trade it for something else. I'll definitely be posting more when I am finished with both projects.

Back