custom becker (pics)

We all inspire each other with our enthusiasm and coaxing our vision out of Ethan Becker's creations. Here's an item that will help fellow enthusiasts when using emery cloth or wet or dry sand paper. It will be invaluable when straightening grind lines or getting a ripple free finish on the metal. http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr6169.html

After seeing your knives I was so inspired, I just ordered the hand sander because I LOVE your work. If my blades could come out half as good I'd be elated. What grits do you use from start to finish if you don't mind telling us???? Thanks Hawkhead!!!!

Here's my newly stippled 2. This was my first try and I'm very pleased with it - Definitely didn't mind paying $9 for the Craftsman soldering gun vs. the cost of Micarta scales. I used the file on my Leatherman to smooth it out a little, and there's still little more to do. So far, so good. Big thumbs up to you guys on the forum, the DIY attitude around here is pretty great - and contagious.

ID=669841&CategoryID=7559#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D55%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D5%26kws%3Dcirculon%20sauteuse[/url]

After seeing your knives I was so inspired, I just ordered the hand sander because I LOVE your work. If my blades could come out half as good I'd be elated. What grits do you use from start to finish if you don't mind telling us???? Thanks Hawkhead!!!!

Hey jedi, Thanks for the compliments. I started using Indasa Rhynowet wet or dry paper. It is cheaper than 3M and is used by some of the professionals in Bladeforums. I start with 180 then 220, 320, 400, 600. 800 paper with some green compound for the final finish. I have not gone to finer grits because I like the satin finish when the paper gets worn and the green compound is used. I use WD40 to wet sand. The sanding bar is a must when removing any imperfections in the steel. Mine are 6 and 12 inches. I save different metal blocks and use them as backing for the paper. This is what works for me. Take your time, mount the blade securely and have fun with your projects. One more thing, used a fine Sharpie to draw your design and/or when straightening the grind lines.

Thanks y'all, ill take some nice photos tomorrow and post them up.

Well it took me forever to take better photos but here they are.

mEdQTxV.jpg

tiq9vML.jpg

o8mFfEp.jpg

lX1KcCO.jpg

Damn I love how those scale came out!

Very, Very nice job Widerstand. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Some of the best I've seen. Really nice man.

My "new" 11:

Removed/reshaped some steel and added zebrawood scales.

I thank Greebe and Semper Praesidio for reminding me about this thread....and providing the link!

Wow, super great inspiration here! I think I will have to start working on my own new BK2 to post here soon..

Eero,
that polishing job is just freaking nuts. I love it.

Great knives everyone, I haven't added my BK2 to this thread and made some recent changes I figured I might as well.

Added jimping, added a choil, slight blade reprofile & convexed edge, stripped polished and then blued over existing patina. Scales were made by crimsonfalcon07 for my knife and I love them. Please ignore how the front of the blade isn't as mirror-y as they rest since a patina has started to form there from use.

Sorry for the pistol in the pics. I had thought of taking these pics when someone posted a thread about the BK2 being heavy and too thick. I thought I should take pics of my two heavy weights. That little Stingray-C is 2.3lbs (unloaded) of steel baby!!!!

Back