Custom built Axis Lock Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Anyone have any new input on this subject? I am also considering a custom Axis project for myself. Unfortunately I'm neither a machinist nor a knifemaker :( I would like to buy a 710 and have it completly reworked into a suped-up AFCK.

The 710's liners could be cut down and recesed into some aluminum scales. And since I'm into the "gray area" of patent infringement, why not go for a new blade with a 14mm Sydie hole and an Emerson wave?

Now I just need to find a maker who will attempt the project. Any ideas on who?

Originally posted by Ryan Meyering
So is it legal to modify and sell BM Axis locks? How much can you change before it becomes illegal?

This is a matter of legal usufruct. Look up patent laws by doing a google search.

Ok, First to get a custom McHenry/Williams axis lock is not easy. First there is probally a waiting perion of a few years because their producton output is very low. Second youor going to pay about$2000 for a custom, at the bottom of the scale. If you really want something special order an axis lock automatic, yes there is such a thing, but they are only custom.

I have developed an idea, and a way to convert an axis lock to an automatic with only minor modifications! I just have to get around to doing it.

Chuck

Hello,

Guys,before you get yourselves into any trouble,Jay and I sold the patent to BKC.There was just no way two guys from Rhode Island could protect it.We put 4 years of R&D ,and thousands of our own bucks into the Axis gamble.After being `emulated' frequently,on many concepts ,over the years,we decided that we owed something to our families.

As part of our deal with BKC,we are the only private cutlers sanctioned to build Axis locks.The Company has filed several additional [beyond #5737841] patents,including the various automatic versions,with the US Patent Office,and internationally.This cost them an unbelieveable amount of money,mostly in legal fees.Benchmade has serious lawyers at their disposal and they have and will use them.One commercial outfit is already paying real money for their unauthorized knockoffs[we`ll let you figure out who],and other litigation is pending.

The Company has stated that they intend to make an example of anyone,including private cutlers,who violates the Patent.This is their right under US law.If you make one,you break the law.If you hire someone to make one,you both break the law,plus a little matter of conspiracy,too.If BKC doesn`t enforce this, the patent is invalid,so they are actively monitoring the scene constantly and are prepared to take action.

If you think you can get around this,you are taking chances.If that unauthorized custom knife ever changes hands or shows up anywhere at all,it just might be a felony.You will need a damn good lawyer.

Beyond all that,it is stealing.

I`m sorry if this sounds heavy,but the reason patents are granted is to encourage the march of technology,by giving temporary protection to the initial developers.The patent runs out in 2016,and until then McHenry and Williams are the only custom makers doing Axis Locks[TM],and unless Benchmade sanctions another shop,Benchmade is the only other legitimate source for genuine Axis technology.

Jay and I continue to make a variety of custom knives,and yes,they ain`t cheap and we are indeed backed up,and because of our standards of craftsmanship,and our obligations to our customers,including Benchmade,our production is very limited.It is not,however, impossible to get a knife from us if you are truly patient.At some point we hope to offer some more affordable semi-custom limited editions,but that`s quite a way down the road.For now we are working on high end art knives,experimental mechanisms ,and developing some new and very different cutlery patents.We hope to have some surprises for you very soon!

As far as customizing an existing knife goes,I don`t see how that violates anything other than the factory warranty.

You can reach us through Benchmade ;

bmchenry@benchmade.com

or

jwilliams@benchmade.com

Thanks,

Bill

;)

Moderators,
I believe this post was moved here from somewhere else and has taken on a rather heavy tone.
Shop Talk has always been a place of sharing and ideas. I feel that lawyers and felonies would be better addressed elsewhere.
Greg

Just wanted to make it perfectly clear that I did not move the thread.
When I move or delete I make a note of it in the thread so people know it was me. This was the decision of another moderator and they did not inform me.

To those complaining about my lack of common sense, maybe you should check into yours and the accuracy of your accusations before worring about mine :).

This was originally posted in the Custom Forum. However, the knife to be modified was not a custom knife and therefore not on topic for that forum.

Since the questions posed were best answered by those bladesmiths who can and do work on their own and other knives, it was moved to this forum.

No threats were made here and some good information was imparted for those who care to read it and take it into consideration.

No blood, no foul. Let's move on.

I would like to know who moved this thread over here,please.I at least deserve an answer.

Thanks,

Bill

Originally posted by WJMcHenry
One commercial outfit is already paying real money for their unauthorized knockoffs[we`ll let you figure out who],and other litigation is pending.

Would Timberline be the company in question?

Originally posted by WJMcHenry
I would like to know who moved this thread over here,please.I at least deserve an answer.

Thanks,

Bill

When did you ask? I may have missed it.

As I mentioned above, it was moved (with a link left behind in the Custom forum) prior to your first reply in this thread for the reasons stated. I was the one who did so and thought that was clear from my post. If it wasn't, I'm sorry I didn't state that more directly.

By the way, Bill, so you might be able to place a face to my nom de plume, I'm the one that gave you that package of cigarettes as I was leaving the Guild Show (Orlando) on Sunday afternoon. ;)

Thanks for the info, Bill :) I think that clears things up ;) I can safely modify the handle on a 710 as long as I don't mess with the Axis lock (wich I never intended to anyway; why mess with perfection?). However, a new blade with a hole and a wave seems to be taboo :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back