Recommendation? Custom CQC6

IAM quite an Emerson fanboy
I love the designs and concepts of the EKI
Even if IMHO the basic finishes are not on pair with other knives that one can get at the same price tag ;)

I have tried a CQC8 but my favorite design so far is a CQC7
I really love this design

I am looking for a non-wave design and when I see pictures of the cqc6 I really feel some connexion to this design

I have handled the ZT0640 based in the viper

Considering the price of a CQC6 which model would you recommend between a 0640 and a CQC6?

0640 vs CQC-6 = you are comparing a $250 production knife with a nearly $4000 custom, according to current market prices.

I think this recommendation is highly dependent on your wallet in this case. 3 to 4k for a 6 is insanity in my opinion, and is why I'll never own one at market price.

A production CQC-7 is a more likely comparrison, and would be my pick over the 0640.

If you are lucky enough to score a CQC-6 at lottery price then that's a different story entirely, and in this case it's the clear winner.

0640 vs CQC-6 = you are comparing a $250 production knife with a nearly $4000 custom, according to current market prices.

I think this recommendation is highly dependent on your wallet in this case. 3 to 4k for a 6 is insanity in my opinion, and is why I'll never own one at market price.

A production CQC-7 is a more likely comparrison, and would be my pick over the 0640.

If you are lucky enough to score a CQC-6 at lottery price then that's a different story entirely, and in this case it's the clear winner.
That. It's like asking if you should get a Ford Explorer or a Range Rover.

If you can afford a 6 at secondary market prices and can snag one before the 2K other guys looking for one, go for it. A non-waved 6 will be even more expensive and will be snapped up even quicker. And if you can afford a 6, you can find an actual Viper 3 for generally less than a 6.

So anyway, if you like the 0640 I'd just grab it, since they are not "expensive" - and if you want a custom 6 or a Viper, keep your eye out for those. It just doesn't strike me as an actual either/or situtation.

Another option would be to buy a production 0640 or a production CQC-7 B (no wave) and have someone like Andrew Charlet do a Po'Boy conversion on it. He does fantastic work, and his work is as close to looking and feeling like an Ernie custom as I have held.

Agreed on the Po-boy angle. I've got two 7's done up now and they really do give you that feel.

These POBOYS conversions are incredible
I will consider modifying an A100 or a CQC7

Try Bulldog- the closerst to CQC-6 blade...
I seen practically copy of CQC-6
But Emerson forbids such conversions...

Attachments

• DSC_a1095.jpg
    DSC_a1095.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 39
Try Bulldog- the closerst to CQC-6 blade...
I seen practically copy of CQC-6
But Emerson forbids such conversions...
That blade has been heavily reground and no longer resembles a Bulldog. So it's a bit disingenuous to say a Bulldog is like a 6 then show a Bulldog reground to look like a 6.

That blade has been heavily reground and no longer resembles a Bulldog. So it's a bit disingenuous to say a Bulldog is like a 6 then show a Bulldog reground to look like a 6.
I mean- the Bulldog blade are best donor for transformation to 6. Chisel and similar bevel.

I think I would go on the basis of. CQC-7a and look for a conversion

Has this customization modified the action - opening locking or disengaging- of your knife?

No, but unless you ask for a bearing conversion or new thick liners or something, the stock liners are what you get back under the scales.

Back