Custom Crosman 2240

What about those ones?

stahlspg.jpg

Keno

Kevin - the muzzle brake helps keep it quiet. Sounds just like any other BB/pellet gun.

Dave - I hear ya on the Pellet gun addiction...it's hard to resist! I had thought about buying one (they're only $50..!) and doing the customizing myself...but I'm low on time/energy/enthusiasm for this kind of thing and decided to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and pay for a customized one.

Yvsa - you and I are on the same plane...:D...There's this feral cats that hangs around my place...;)

Steve - I was this close || to getting a Baikal. The accuracy is highly touted. But seeings as I had plans other than target shooting (see reply to Yvsa above..:eek: ) I sacrificed accuracy for power and oomph. I still may get one eventually just for improving shooting skills. And the Crosman as modified has pretty dang good accuracy as it is. Now I just need to work on breathing, etc. for consistent results. Congrats on yours...it's a beauty!

Steely - call me callous...but any bird that finds its way into my "target zone" (meaning: my backyard, fences included) becomes a target itself. :D I got no bad feelings about it.

Norm & Dave - right now, I'm using Crosman Premier hollow-point pellets in .177 and pointed in .22. Not too crazy about the pointed...thought they are pretty good. The hollow points though, go very straight and are quite accurate. It's rare I get a miss...of course, I'm using a rifle instead of a pistol with the .177s...

I had been told that the Premiers were good with this pistol in particular...I'm thinking about picking up some RWS to test against 'em.

Thanks for all the comments.

Hope everybody is having a good Labor Day!

You guys make me want to unearth the ancient and venerable Feinwerkbau and pop some air.:D I used to like to shoot at spent .22 cases at 10 Meters. Oh, those were the days...:(

Kevin the grey said:
Did anyone see the Sherlock Holmes episode with the crank powered 45 cal pellet rifle ?
The adventure of the empty house? No, doesn't ring any bells. Sorry.

Aardvark said:
The adventure of the empty house? No, doesn't ring any bells. Sorry.

Yes, one of the best SH stories. I must have read that a dozen times. Wasn't that Colonel Sebastion Moran? "The best heavy game shot in England," or something to that effect.

Designed by Von Herder, a blind german who made it for Prof. Moriarty. I don't recall a mention of the caliber though...

Mike, those look really good. I was thinking about getting some of the quiter subsonic .22's for use in my 10/22. I hear they are pretty quiet. I would prefer to use a rifle for accuracy.

Also, don't know if you guys know this trick, but for your .22's take a spent shotgun casing and put it over the end of the rifle barrel and shoot though it. Quiets the rounds down considerably and doesn't seem to affect accuracy. I usually use a 12 ga., but other calibers might work depending on the height of your front sight.

Norm

Svashtar said:
Yes, one of the best SH stories. I must have read that a dozen times. Wasn't that Colonel Sebastion Moran? "The best heavy game shot in England," or something to that effect.

Designed by Von Herder, a blind german who made it for Prof. Moriarty. I don't recall a mention of the caliber though...
Norm

In one scene I seem to remember Doctor Watson saying it was a soft nosed revolver bullet .
When he was in court I believe he mentioned it was 45 caliber .

In an episode just before or after that Sherlock had a beautiful Alpen staff . It was the same episode where he and Professor Moriarity fought it out at the top of the falls . The actor who portrayed Moriarity was cast perfectly .

I do prefer the books . Jeremy Brett and company were so outstanding in the latest series that it compliments the books instead of detracting .

Did you or anyone see Robert Hardy in one episode ? (Ziegfried in all creatures great and small)

I have the complete seies of books in a beautifully bound edition . It is one of the few books in my library that will always survive the purges necessary to keep my library at a manageable level .

What with all this talk about .45 caliber airguns -- if you guys like powerful airguns, they are available. Talk to this guy:

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

I'm not personally interested in hunting deer with an air rifle unless the great state of Washington is going to give me the archery season to try it, but for those who just have to do it, there ya go.

(Last I checked he wasn't doing them anymore, but I'd kill for one of his .25 caliber 2240 conversions.)

The guy that did mine - Roy Weid of mountainaircustomairguns.com - offered to do mine in .25 caliber. :D

LOL, Steve...you beat me to it. That's where I got mine. :thumbup:

IIRC, he's a regular on some of the airgun boards and his work is highly regarded.

DAQ offered .25 kits for the 2240/2250 -- basically, just the barrel, the breech, and possibly the bolt and valve, which saved a bit of money and a lot of time. The actual installation of said components is fairly simple. Getting them is the trick.

Come to think of it, a 1325 would be an interesting thing to have but I'd expect that there'd be some trickery involved with the gas system.

I,ll look around at those sites . What struck me most about the 45 cal crank rifle was that ornate way it was made . The Brits like complicated machines and this if not overly complicated is definitely unique . The air reservoir was visible and the crank looked suitable for one of those old radio telephones .

Daniel Koster said:
The guy that did mine - Roy Weid of mountainaircustomairguns.com - offered to do mine in .25 caliber. :D

I would rather have the .22. I'm sure it has a higher muzzle velocity. I have never found a .25 in any form that was worth a damn.

Norm

.25's and above generally only work correctly in spring cockers and PCP's; you need a lot of pressure to drive such a heavy pellet.

The genius of DAQ's setup was that the barrel was optimized for the relatively light RWS domed pellet. He believed (probably correctly) that anything heavier just wasn't going to work with CO2. The result would fling pellets in the mid-400's IIRC, which is not bad for any air pistol and is outstanding for a CO2 in .25. I'll agree that this is probably not the best platform for such a conversion but if one wants CO2 and .25 caliber, what other choices are there?

A better choice for a CO2 pistol than either .25 or .22 would probably be .20 caliber. Unfortunately this is one of those things that looked great on paper and no one bought it, so airguns firing this pellet are pretty scarce and pellets themselves are not always easy to find. If memory serves I've seen some figures posted comparing gas guns in .177 and .20 and the velocities were just about the same; the .20's simply utilized the available pressure better. Reloaders are no doubt familiar with the phenomenon -- while light and heavy bullets can be useful, a cartridge really comes into its own with a certain bullet weight. .177 was a great idea at the time but with the improved efficiency of today's designs, we can go a bit heavier.

My question is, when are the Russians going to give us an electric that will reliably feed pellets? If they can build it, we can hotwire it, and much fun will be had by all...

Dave Rishar said:
.My question is, when are the Russians going to give us an electric that will reliably feed pellets? If they can build it, we can hotwire it, and much fun will be had by all...

Amen to that, Bro!

Back